Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Sep 1995 12:41:21 GMT
From:         vw@gulbransen.com (Vw)
Subject:      RE: 71 WESTY AND DOOR HANDLES

> >Regarding broken door locks on '71 type II's. Mine is broken on the > >drivers side. My solution is to only unlock it from the outside. If > >it won't open I have to turn the key, several times, to the lock > >position, then unlock. Basically, turn the key back and forth until > >it opens. > > I also have this problem on my 71. I've procrastinated the repair and do > the "key back and forth method" of unlocking. Unfortunately, the torque > generated from this puts a strain on the pot metal lock barrel, and I broke > the barrel on one door--it split in half and came out with the key. I did > have a spare barrel around that matched the grooves in the key, so all I had > to do was switch over the brass tumblers from the old barrel and do a little > filing. Since I don't have any more spare lock parts lying around, I should > replace the spring soon. > > As I remember, the spring we're talking about looks like a winding spring > you would find in an old clock. Does anyone have the specs on that spring > so I can just buy a couple and put them in at my liesure? In my case, the > springs aren't broken, just worn out and not doing their job of returning > the push button in the door handle.

You do not have to repeatedly turn the key back and forth to get the door to unlock. If you do, you will eventually break the key or the lock barrel. The purpose of the little broken spring is to move the lever out of the way. You can move the lever by pounding with your fist several times just above the handle. Then unlock the door normally. When you get around to it, replace the broken spring with a spring from a retractable pen. Stretch the spring to the appropriate length, and use needle-nose pliers to fasten the ends.

If anyone knows a source for the right spring, please let us know.

Bob and Penny Lee vw@gulbransen.com San Diego, CA '71 VW Bus White/Blue with sunroof '72 VW Super Beetle White Herbie '71 VW Bus Dark Blue with sunroof '72 VW Super Beetle Orange with sunroof