Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Sep 1995 02:27:49 -0400
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Trip report (shortish)

Hi all, Here's a breif report on my (with wife & 4 & 7 year olds) recent 2 week trip from LA area to Spokane WA & back.

Visited mother-in-law in Fresno : ( She's 254 miles away : ) Saw (quickly) Sequoia National Park : ) Drove on top of a Sequoia : ) Drove through a Sequoia : ) Kids were quiet while watching Disney videotapes in back : ) Kids were brats while not watching TV : ( Vanagon turned over 100,000 miles : ) Met Jim at Bus Boys in Redding : ) Saw Burney Falls NE of Redding : ) Mosquitos & other bugs THICK along Klamath Lake Oregon. Sounded like rain on the windsheild. Really! : ( Saw full-size Stonehenge replica in Maryhill WA : ) Visited with family in Spokane & nearby in Idaho : ) Bought some brand new 8 year old Hot Wheels in Spokane : ) Found a Vanagon rear-facing seat for sale in Seattle : ) Made plans to travel through Seattle on the way home to pick up seat. Waxed the Vanagon : ) It'd been 2 years : ) After 3 days of looking for the seat, it turns out they didn't have the seat after-all : ( Cancelled plans to travel through Seattle. Saw several waterfalls along the Columbia River east of Portland : ) Caught : ) a small : ( Rainbow Trout in the Smith River. Went through Redwoods National Park - saw Redwoods : ) Drove along the Northern California coast : ) Visited Wailaki cmpgrnd, steep, narrow, winding road(at night!) - No Vanagons there : ( Drove to Ukiah - no motel rooms available : ( Santa Rosa - No motel rooms : ( Petaluma, Novato, San Rafael - NO motel rooms! : ( : ( : ( Finally! Hayward 3:40AM, a room with 1 bed. Kids slept on the floor : ) : ( LA area. Traffic!? on Sunday evening w/Monday a holiday? It was a stallled car! : ( Home !!! : )

O.K., before I get flamed about the Wailaki thing, let me give you some reasoning on why I figured it was this past weekend. 1. I didn't pay attention to the initial information on the trip because I didn't plan to be there. 2. The directions I read said things like; "we're going to leave at 10:00am on Friday". 3. I didn't see any reports on how the trip went last week. 4. Martha ( I think ) did mention how well some shower thing worked - but said that it hadn't been tested while actually camping yet. 5. I figured that Labor Day weekend being a 3 day weekend and all would be a natural time to plan a camping trip. All this led up to me guessing that you'd be there. I figured I couldn't be 600 miles from home, 22 miles from a gathering, and not stop to say hi.

Oh well, that said: Where (or when) were you???

Missing you, Jim Davis 88 Wolfsburg (The ride for this trip) 87 Syncro (Waiting lonely at home)