Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Sep 1995 16:36:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Insurance Industry Regulation (L)

>In California the Insurance Commisioner is supposed to handle regulation >of Ins. Co. profits. They are, I am told, allowed to set their rates to >guarantee a 15% profit margin. This is the only industry that I know of >that is guaranteed a profit margin.

Really? If I start up Maher Insurance, and register with the Commissioner or whoever, then I am GUARANTEED to profit, even tho I know zip about insurance and will probably screw up the company royally? If I set my rates so high that I make up for my unworkable business practices, how will I get customers to pay them? I rather think they'll all skedaddle over to State Farm, and my profits would be zero. Negative if you include startup costs.

Insurance Co's aren't guaranteed a profit. Just the opposite-- their profits are _restricted_ to a maximum of 15%... but no minimum! I'm not sure I'd personally want to start up a business (even one I was good at) if some govt agency was clamping a profit restriction on me.

I have a hunch (again, no proof-- bummer) these restrictions came about because the public perceived collusion and price-fixing among insurance companies. I doubt they ever saw proof (again, if this were true, then proof would be real hard to come by of course). If these collusion/ corruption rumors are true, then the industry needs more than restriction. It needs the Spanish Inquisition, and deserves it. But if they're not true, then we have visited terrible abuses on a legit, vital business, and hurt our own selves pretty badly in the process. I wonder how hard "we the people" checked into this, before simply lowering the boom on the "evil" insurance companies?

>It is also the largest legal >gambling system in the world. They bet you won't (Die, Crash, Injure >someone on your property, have your car stolen etc..) and you bet you >will!

Exactly correct. Always has been, always will be. And should be! How else could it work?

Insurance is pure gambling. Most other legit companies are too, to a lesser extent. VW gambles that they can produce good enough cars that you will buy theirs instead of Ford's or BMW's. If they can't, they wither and die, unless they change their ways. Have you driven a Yugo lately?

It keeps coming back to the same question. We need certain info to tell if the insurance companies are abusing us... or if we are abusing them instead. To my knowledge, nobody's even checked. I hope I'm wrong, and that we can find out for sure. Anyone know of any leads on this info?