Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Sep 95 10:35:22 bst
From:         Andy Erskine <a.c.erskine@lut.ac.uk>
Subject:      Re: 71 Westy and Door Handles

>> I am stuck with the problem on both the drivers and passengers door >> that if the door is locked and you pull the trigger (for lack of a better word) >> to open the door you can no longer unlock the door with a key.

Well, since everybody else seems to have this problem I might as well own up and say it's exactly the same with my 73. A rod inside goes from the interior handle to the latch. Push it to lock the latch, pull it to open the door, or vice versa. By loosening the bolts that hold the interior handle to the door you can move it back and forth slightly. Too far one way and the key won't have any effect, and too far the other way and the interior lock won't have any effect. I had to set it just right by trial and error, and it only just works, sometimes needing a bit of key wiggling. Something in there had worn so that the travel of the interior handle is not enough to both lock and open the door, but groping about inside the door trying to diagnose exactly what was too much like hard work. Ian Hallett's suggestion of a worn pin shaped doova sounds like it might be my problem and I'm going to give it a go as soon as I get chance.

Andy E.

A.C.Erskine@lut.ac.uk