Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 05 Sep 95 08:53:38 EST
From:         "ray hale" <ray.hale@santafe.cc.fl.us>
Subject:      door hinge plates(long)SUCCESS

finally! the new cargo doors are on and adjusted properly and i never want to do this again. here's the deal:

1) posted the list and got several great ideas 2) sat down with all ideas including my own and beers and stared at the offending area day after day until the light bulb went on 3) cut the heads off two old door hinge screws that were already destroyed 4) put two nuts on to protect threads, placed in vice, and drilled a small hole lengthwise in each 5) cut a slot in the old head end so they could be turned with screw driver 6) inserted a piece of monofilament with a washer smaller than the screw diameter in each drilled hole and tied it off. this would be the end that would save the plate if it fell down the door rail 7) removed the top screws of each hinge in one door and inserted the screw/monofilament assembly, screwing it in far enough so it cleared the hinge, leaving room for the hinge to pull out. at this point the monofilament hung out of the hinge and door rail about three feet 8) drink another beer and take a deep breath 9) remove the bottom screws of each hinge 10) get another person to hold the door and gently pull hinges out of the body while you hold on to the monofilament and catch it when it comes out with the hinges, top and bottom. this tricky because you have deal with both hinges and keep hinge plates from falling down the rail. the hinges themselves could break the monofilament at this point if they get hooked on anything or if the doors come out too fast for you to keep up with. 11) now the doors are off and you're holding both hinge plates in place with the monofilament, ready for the new doors to slide into place. you must weave the monofilament through the new hinge holes and back through the holes in the door rails (on the body) so that when the new door hinges are inserted the line comes out of the body holes enabling you to still pull the line holding the hinge plates in place. 12) line up hinge plates with anything that will stick through the bottom holes and then insert one new door screw, with anti-seize this time, and semi-tighten. you still need someone to hold the doors for you at this point. 13) once you have both hinges, top and bottom, held in place with the bottom screw in each, you can remove the top screw/monofilament assembly and insert the remaining new screw in each hinge 14) have another beer and do the other door

i hope that is fairly clear. the words need pics to really do the job but feel free to ask questions. there are four hinges for the two doors and all but one hinge plate was flopping in the door rail, just waiting to fall down into never-never land. on one door when we pulled the old door out, it broke the monofilament and the hinge fell down but then fell out onto the ground. it was a mixed blessing as we realized there was even more work to be done at a later date. but at that point we were very glad to have the plate back in our hands. when you're done, you need to loosen the bolts a little and adjust the doors so they fit properly.

thanks to mark janello for the warning in the first place and then for supplying the groovy 5mm allen screws to replace the stock phillips head. thanks to rusty for his great idea which mark then added upon. thanks to my co-worker and excellent wrenching/motorcycle riding/former bug owner/beer drinking friend for courage and inspiration. and thanks to lea for patience and common sense and getting in there and dirty with me. that's what this list is about for me. that's what good friends are about. i feel lucky! ray sorry for the long story. it's been a long process: there's no success like failure, and failure's no success at all