Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Sep 1995 12:37:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:         william killian <killian@qnet.com>
Subject:      EV Floor Mats

A week or so ago we were talking about floor mats for the various Buses. I got Genuine VW floor mats for the EV MV. THey were on the expensive side about $90 each but they are not smallish squares of carpet.

The front mat - common to all EVs covers vitually all the carpet in the front. It covers from the 2 inch 'ledge' behind the front seats up to the front edge of the installed carpet. It covers all the way to the cut out steps. It does not go under the front seats - I see this as a way to keep the stuff I keep under the seats from sliding out as easily so I don't have a proble with that. A really odd shaped thing. There are abot 3 or 4 inches of carpet that extend up the sides of the van and the carpet covering the wheel wells that do not get covered by the mat. - I wish it covered the wheel weels to protect the installed carpet from my dirty feet as I get in the habit of having my left foot on the wheel well hump.

The rear floor mat is model specific to the EV - I don't know anything in particular about CL anf GL model rear floor mats. THis is an even larger piece of carpetit covers virtuall all flat exposed floor space from the front edge of the rear bench seat to up under the rear facing seats. If the two jump seats are removed the whole floor area is coverd with a couple slots visible to put the seats back in. There are 'extensions' on the mat to cover all the way around the cut out fot the step.

Price seemed a little high to me but the care in shaping and apparent workmanship is good. With two teenagers and a baby I think I'm glad I got them. THe carpet installed was getting pretty stained and being unremovable harder to clean. I can just lift the mats out for a good carpet cleaning.

Only complaint - the carpet in the EV is a black and gray pattern. The mats come in black OR gray. Not sure if I guessed wrong and the Black and gray was the 'black' instead of the 'gray' or VW changed the colors. I do know that the mats had different numbers on them than as ordered. Are the newer '95 EVs (T4s) coming with solid color carpets instead of the black and gray thing of '93? I like the dealer I got these from - cheaper for the mats than the other Northern Virginia dealers for all parts - but the parts guys don't know all that much about EVs. They got me a 'vanagon'shop manual when I tried to get the EV shop manual. The guy who I talked to when I went to pick up the ordered parts at least knew that the Vanagon is not the Eurovan so he didn't even bother to give it to me.

The dealer is Ray Burnett VW in Alexandria Virgina - they are the dealer that has two BUGS on the showroom floor. One '72 Super and a '73 Super Cabriolet. Might be wrong on the years but I'm pretty sure the sedan is a flat screen super and the Cario is a curved screen super. I just thought it was wild to see TWO BEETLES FOR SALE on a showroom floor! Rebuilt be the shop machanics. Seemed to my very amateuur eye to be a good but not great refurbishing and the prices were more in line with a great job. Something like 7 and 8 thousand. (I did say amateuron my eye for this)

bill killian