Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Sep 1995 07:31:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Tobin T. Copley" <tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca>
Subject:      Re: Brakes inconsistent

On Tue, 5 Sep 1995 Mark Sudul clarified:

> > On Wed, 16 Aug 1995 msudul@glenayre.com wrote: > > > > > My '78 (Murray) is braking rather irregularly these days. After long > > > highway sections (infrequent braking) the brake pedal sinks rather > > > close to the floor without producing much stopping power. The problem > > > is resolved after a pump or two when brake pressure is returned. > > snip... > > > Mark, have you been losing brake fluid? Any wetness anywhwere in the > > braking system that might indicate a leak in the system? Wheel > > cylinders, master cylinders, couplings in the lines? Check the whole > > length of the lines, too, since you may have chucked a rock or something > > up on the logging roads and damaged something. > > > > I'd be freaking if my pedal would drop to the floor every now and then!

> Tobin, > > No loss of brake fluid that I have noticed. I will get underneath and > have a thorough look. The rear wheel cylinders are new last fall. Sean > Stueber says on August 16... > > > I had to adjust mine several (about three, I think) times before the problem > > went away. You problem sounds exactly like mine. I think the reason is that > > when you adjust them it actually only adjusts one side. Over the next few > > minutes/hours/days of driving the shoes center themselves and require > > adjusting again. Give it a try. Good luck > > I re-adjusted the rear brakes 2 weeks ago and proceeded on a 2 week > wind surfing holiday. The rough roads and long freeway sections did not > cause the problem to reappear yet. One other symptom is that the brake > pedal will drop slightly under pressure as if something suddenly > releases, and I can hear a clunk from the rear when this happens > (usually only after a long period of driving without braking).

Clunk? You thinking then that that's the shoes popping into the 'centred' position after rattling into a non-centred position on your long freeway drive? Have you popped off the rear brake drums to have a look at the guts of your rear brakes? Is your braking even when you do use them? (i.e., one wheel of the other, or fronts only/rears only locks up under moderate braking on those logging roads?)

Tobin ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tobin T. Copley Currently ============= (604) 689-2660 Occupationally /_| |__||__| :| putta tobin@freenet.vancouver.bc.ca Challenged! O| | putta '-()-------()-' Circum-continental USA, Mexico, Canada 15,000 miles... '76 VW Camper! (Mango)