Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Sep 1995 08:12:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:         tfab@netcom.com (thom fitzpatrick)
Subject:      Re: JT's Magic Bus Project Update

And John T. Croteau thus wrote:

> I did some more investigating on the Bus this morning.. it looks like it > would be wise to replace the two floor halves, front crossmembers, and > rocker panels. > > Is this major work for a welder to do properly? I know in a Bug it can > be a pain in the ass to replace rockers and floors, but I have never done > this on a Bus.

Having done rockers and front floors myself, I can truthfully say it can be done by an amature with the right tools. I think its prolly easier in a bus since you have less stuff to get in the way!

If you have a place to work on it, I'd suggest doing it yerself. You can get a decent lowe-end MIG welder for about $300, and you'll make that back in what you save on shop costs. You should also get a grinder and a jigsaw, and a good hammer and some good cold chisels. The jigsaw you'll use to get the old stuff off (or use good shears - yeah, add that to the list - thats what I used) the welder to, uh, weld them in, the chisel to cut some of the more hard to get spots, like around the frame members, and the grinder to finish down your welds.

My bus has all new rockers, battery tray, front floors, and hinge carrier.

Thom -- > Why do you need a driver's license to buy liquor when you can't drink and drive? Thom Fitzpatrick tfab@netcom.com ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/tf/tfab/home.html '56 VW Sunroof Kombi '72 Porsche 911T Targa (For Sale? Make offer!) '78 BMW 530i Desperately seeking '51-'55 Barndoor Deluxe Project