Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 06 Sep 1995 10:17:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      Fixing an 009 distributor?

Finally found out why the timing on my '71 bus is so screwy. It has a stock 1600 single-port engine (long story), original in all ways except for the 009 distributor (and one or more rebuilds).

Dwell is 46 degrees. When timing is set to 7.5 degrees, it idles wonderfully, and never is heard a discouraging word. Going up a steep hill in second at about 28 mph, it seems to run out of steam-- top end torque falls off pretty fast.

If I advance the timing a lot, the hill-climb is much better, but the idle is a little less reliable. And this takes like 20 degrees initial setting!

Well, long story short, I found that the distributor is only advancing the timing about 10-12 degrees beyond its original static setting.

Anyone know how to fix this, short of trading it in on a new one? Shouldn't the distributor advance about 20-22 degrees? For a static setting of 7.5 degrees, this would give total advance of 27-29 degrees at high RPMs. If that's not correct, what is the right amount that a properlyworking 009 should give?

I have modified the advance curve on my V8 Mustang, by taking the distributor apart, flipping over the advance cam (gives 18 degrees centfrifugal advance instead of 13), and changing the little springs that restrain the counterweights in the bottom of the distributor. I've never opened up an 009, though-- anyone know if it's similar?

Can anyone give me any advice/suggestions/scornful laughs before I begin to perform brain surgery on my Bosch ignition with an axe?

TIA, Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '71 VW Transporter '66 Mustang Coupevertible