Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 06 Sep 1995 17:19:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      RE: RE[2]: BUM STARTING FUN FOR A WHILE BUT...

>I'm still tossing around the idea of >trying the Ford Horn relay kludge,

It's not a horn relay kludge. My Mustang (and everyone else's) came from the factory with one of these between the key and the starter-- it's a real, gen-yew-wine starter relay. MUCH higher current capability than a standard horn relay. But limited duty cycle-- I've seen them smoke, literally, when a big V8 engine was cranked for a long time, but keep on operating correctly. Well, the starter motor was probably smoking too by then.

>Also, make sure that your starter switch wire is actually connected to >the <VW> solenoid...for a while, mine kept falling off.

By George, I think you've got it!!!

This is a VERY common problem in VW starters-- it's a 1/4" push-on connector. If it ever had a boot on it, it's usually naked by now, exposed to all kinds of crap. And years of vibration and heat-cycling have oftened loosened it up to the point where it rattles loosely on the spade terminal on the starter. Pull it off, clean it up, crimp it just a LITTLE bit tighter (it's fragile), and push it back on. Will clear up 80% of your starter problems.

True, VW starter solenoids do tend to hang up occasionally, even with good connections. It's often the beginning of the end. A sharp tap with a hammer, often springs them free for the next few starts. But you should take the hint, and start saving for a new one. Then you can arrange a time and place, and change it out when YOU want to... not when it wants you to, which is invariably outdoors, beside a busy street in the rain or snow.

-Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '71 VW Transporter '66 Mustang Coupevertible