Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed,  6 Sep 95 16:23:07 PDT
From:         Steve Reilly <steve@caliban.ucsd.edu>
Subject:      RE: baja trip roster update

On Wednesday Sept 6th Martha wrote:

>David Garth? Steve Reilly? Can you help us with some itenary plans. I >draw a pathetic complete blank where Mexico is concerned, but I'm game to >tackle whatever you guys can come up with...

I've just returned from a month away from daily life with vanagon@lenti and so I'm a bit out of touch with recent plans and discussion on the Baja trip (been out chasing blue whales and their chow around the Southern California Channel Islands...not a VW in sight, but those animals are large enough to swallow one. Picture Guiseppe [was that his name?] and Pinocchio in a 61 Westy with fine wood paneling, instead of a boat...). Have you settled on definite dates? Any destinations been agreed? The number of names on the roster is impressive! If anything near this number of vans actually materializes for the trip, we will have to make sure we select destinations that can handle our traffic. Many of the places I'm most familiar with (surfing spots between Santo Tomas and El Rosario) couldn't handle more than about 6 vehicles. Following are some suggestions that come to mind immediately. With a little more info on duration of the trip, desired types of destinations, etc, there are plenty of other options, too.

If we cross the border later than first light, and want to stop in Ensenada for necessary provisions like Grendain Ollitas (the best tequila on the globe, IMHO), limes, etc, an easy destination for the first afternoon would be the 'El Palomar' camp ground/trailer park/fine little cafe at Santo Tomas. Its right on the highway, but quite peaceful and charming in spite of the truck noise at night, and the cafe serves up some fine food, too. This isn't really too far into Mexico, only about a hundred miles or so, but those hundred miles can be pretty hectic, especially the border area and the stretch from where the pay road ends north of Ensenada to the south end of Maneadero. I really enjoyed Tobin Copley's trip report for this area. His description of the large speed bumps (Topes Grandes!!) was spot on. Anyway, Sto. Tomas has been a good stop for me on those occasions when I didn't cross the border until mid-day, after last minute repacking, shopping, buying insurance at the border, and so on. If we do get away early in the day, then no problemo, push on.

If the group's wish is for some beach camping, there are quite a few possibilities between Cape Colonet and San Quintin. If searching for surf is low on the list of priorities, there are some nice and easily accessible beach camping spots around the bay at San Quintin. For a little more adventure and the chance for the syncros to strut their stuff (and maybe pull a few 4x2 vans out of soft sand) the peninsula is a great choice. Its been some years since I was out there, but I recall it being quite striking and fairly remote feeling, even though a fair sized town and semi-luxury hotel sit across the bay.

For a three day trip this may be as far as some would wish to go. With a little more time or a wish to keep on moving rather than kick back at the ol camp site, there are many gems to be found just down the road. Along the road between San Quintin and El Rosario the beaches are as close as they get to the highway, with easy access to a few nice spots. I'd recommend the stretch south of El Soccoro. There are some dirt tracks leaving the road that lead through short ravines to beautiful white sand beaches.

At El Rosario the road turns inland for a long stretch, so say goodbye to the ocean unless you're prepared for some long, tough going on dirt roads. Last summer I drove my poor abused darlin' 90 Wolfsburg out the 50+ mile torture road to Punta San Carlos in a vain search for uncrowded point surf. I'd just put on a new set of KYB gas-adjust shocks ($400 - ouch!) and they were pounded into semisoftness by the 100 mile round trip on this road. There is some fine desert scenery along the way,though, with the northernmost boojun or elephant trees showing up, some giant cardon cactus, and some cirios, too. The wind blew like a banshee out at the point for three solid days. Windsurfers camped there in large numbers were disgustingly gleeful in the 35mph winds, but the camping was less than pleasant, and the surf never materialized from yet another dud of a hurricane off Cabo San Lucas. And some people think surfing is all fun and endless positive feedback. Geez.

Anyway, for those with even more time to spend, I'd highly recommend going as far as the amazing boulder and cactus fields at Catavina. This place is pure magic. The morning and evening light there is unlike anything else.

Its hard to imagine a list trip going any further south, so I won't go on and on with this narrative. One side trip worth considering that has been mentioned in a few other postings is the road at San Telmo (a little south of the town of Colonet) up to the Meling Ranch (about 32 miles of dirt road that reportedly is in OK shape). For those really into exploring this area, the road continues on up the the observatories high up in the Sierra San Pedro Martir national park. Pine trees and incredible views to be found in abundance up there - a slice of Baja most find unexpected and a real treat.

Well, here are some suggetions folks. So whaddaya think?

Steve Reilly