Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Sep 1995 12:32:50 -0300
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Syncro/Vanagon Stiff Shifting

> > tim, could you briefly explain how you adjusted the shifter linkage ^^^^ sort-of

Hi, prior to replacing bits I had pushed the shift plate all the way towards the drivers side. This helped very slightly, still not foolproof. After swapping all the plastic bits out I used a bungee cord from the top of the gearshift out the openned passenger window to the door handle to hold the stick on that side. It was a gentle pull, enough to keep it there while I tightened things up underneath. This position holds the stick back and to the right, NOT in 4th, in neutral and rearward, and in 3/4 gate. The "align the stick in a vertical position...." didn't work at all for me. Get the short lever on the transmission upright, as Bently and make SURE it is pushed IN fully against the return spring inside the trans. But don't try to compress the return spring, remember, the stick is already in 3/4th position and you need to be able to get to 1/2 AND L/R positions. The return spring pushes you from 1/2 gate towards 3/4 gate. Newer Vanagons have a different return spring setup, on the base of the stick, not in the trans. Mine was old-style 091 trans. Next try to get the spline joint together and tightened, just try <g> This method gets all the left/right slop out once the clamp is tightened. Then it was easy to reach 1st/2nd. without encountering the L/rev block that is just under the gearstick floor. I didn't reposition the shifter plate back to the two holes as per Bently, I forgot! Kind of reluctant to do so now since it works. It shifts as well as it should, still a bit notchy finding first, but I can now pop out of Low into 1st. instead of 2nd. greatly helps the off-roading. The stick sits tightly in all gear positions, no slop to be worried about. I _think_ I fixed it <g> I still think all I really needed was a thorough cleaning and regreasing plus the alignment, parts weren't worn badly at all, despite 8 years use. tim s.