Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 07 Sep 1995 14:46:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      RE: The '71 single cab that isn't

>At this point, I'm thinking. This is actually the second week it's >been in the paper; he didn't think it would be selling soon. I'll >prolly take a look and then pass on it (and pass his # on), I dunno. >Apparently it's got the bus tranny, but with the ring gear flipped to >make it go backwards for the corvair engine. Any feedback on how hard >that would be to undo?

I had the impression that there are only two reasons someone would reverse the ring gear in a VW tranny (my knowledge on this is sufficient only to be dangerous, please correct me if I'm wrong):

1.) If someone is putting a swingaxle bus tranny in a swingaxle bug, which doesn't use the bus reduction gears at the wheels;

2.) If someone is building a midengine car with the engine in front of the rear axle and turned around.

Doesn't the Corvair engine rotate the same direction as a VW engine, i.e. clockwise as seen from behind the car? If so, this single cab probably doesn't have the ring gear flipped.

Anybody have more complete knowledge on this (wouldn't be hard!)? It would be nice to get a definite word on this, from someone who's been there and done it.

-Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '71 VW Transporter w/4 cyls, but I can dream...