Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Sep 1995 12:04:42 +1000 (EST)
From:         brettdel@nswbeta.nsw.bom.gov.au
Subject:      Running FI empty (long)

About a year ago was doing a trip from NSW to WA (Australia) when our 1991 D/Cab developed a mis-fire(2.1l).The strange thing about it was that it only occured when fuel level was under half or when going down hill? (The down hill bit was no real problem since the whole trip is basically flat and straight). Pulled off to side of road and found fuel pump was making some pretty strange noises- shit just what we need no replacement and 2000Km from nowhere. Luckly had plenty of fuel aboard - kept going refuelling when required. Made it to Esperance WA (great place - white beaches - great surf - plenty of fish and no people) ordered new fuel pump - arrived a week later 10 mins to replace it all ready to head back to the surf started motor and fuel pump making the same noise!!!! What are the chances of a new fuel pump being u/s? As you might have quessed it wasn't and to cut a long story short after hours of thought and lots of looking - inside the fuel tank there is a filter(it appears as a pressed cicle in the middle of the tank when viewed from below) that requires no maintenance as it is keep clean by the return flow of fuel from the fuel rails. From this filter runs a moulded plastic line to the tank outlet - I could find no clamps and could only assume that it is held in place due to the fact that it is installed under tension in the factory - this plastic line had come adrift - when you have a good look at the tank the outlet is no where near the lowest point in the tank - when tank is under half full, fuel moved around and lets a mixture of fuel and air in to fuel pump (noise explained - pumps starts to cavitate).When going down hill fuel moves foward air/fuel etc.etc. Also inside the tank and incorperated with the fuel filter is a low fuel cut off - this seems to operate as a safety device that DOES NOT ALLOW A MIXTURE OF FUEL AND AIR TO ENTER THE FUEL PUMP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember reading once in a Bosch handbook that they can saftely run fuel through the middle of the pump as there is never an explosive mixture present inside the pump - all fuel and no air. How Lucky was I.

----------------------------------- Brett Delaney '91 D/Cab '91 TRISTAR Ph (049) 287222 Fax (049) 651690 brettdel@nswbeta.nsw.BoM.GOV.AU -----------------------------------