Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Sep 95 22:51 AST
From:         A_OLIVARES@upr1.upr.clu.edu
Subject:      2nd Annual Meeting of VWs Owners and Lovers (Report)

Hi all you VWs freaks!:) Besides the menace of hurricane Luis and heavy rains, I decided to take my 1978 Westfalia to the mountains in the center of Puerto Rico to attend the 2nd Annual Meeting of VWs Owners and Lovers. We got there early enough to be one the first 50 to arrive and receive a plate of the event. Inmediately I met a bunch of good friends that I have not seen for a year and started to exchange info and ideas about the VW world. The show was very colorful and entertaining this year, among the activities were: VW Trivia, Bat Race, Jean Contest, Pie Contest and Apple Pick Contest. This event reunited 415 VWs air-cooled and water-cooled, is very nice how the Westfalias are showing up more and more, many of them in cherry conditions. For the first time the public could win gift certificates from West Coast Metric thanks to the guys from Volky Performance (in Puerto Rico we call the bugs, "Volkys" and the busses, "Guaguas") in Bayamon, P.R. The temperature was very high!!! And we didn't have rain, a good excuse for a couple of cold beers. We had a "salsa" band performing on stage and a lot of beautiful young ladies. I informed to the organizator of the event that I announced the show through the Internet and he hopes that next year some of you guys could come to visit this beautiful island and check out our VWs. Among showstoppers we had: A Cherry 82 Westy, a 1949 VW Split Window, a 78 Well restored Westy ( that's my bus :), several oval windows, water coolers, and even a passenger bus converted into a Westy, a 68 Bug with a Corvette engine, a pair of nice Things, and a Super-custom Karmann Ghia. A friend of mine ( the vanagon guru in P.R.) convinced me to sell my Mitsubishi Montero 4x4 and buy a nice good looking passenger Vanagon, I think that I will do it it, please advice me of the best year for Vanagons and how the price looks like in the States. After a lot of good feelings and enjoyment I came back to San Juan to see the first terrible announcements that hurricane Luis was coming directly to strike Puerto Rico. What I did after that will be my next report. I hope that you enjoyed this story. Saying good-bye for a little wh while,

Angel 78 Caribbean Westy San Juan, Puerto Rico