Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 08 Sep 95 10:10:09 PDT
From:         Mitch Hendrickson <mitchh@hops.gvg.TEK.COM>
Subject:      That '70 single-cab

OK, I went and looked at it, and I'm passing. It's tempting, but just more than I'm ready to take on at this point. Putting in that corvair engine took some hacking on the rear apron and so forth.

Anybody else wants to check it out, call George @ (916) 878-1927. Tell him I sent you. He's curious about this whole online thing.

The good part:

Some surface rust, but nothing structural. Nothing is rusted through or anything. The worst part it the bed, which is dented and rusted like any other old pickup in the world. In other words, normal use. Nothing else has scary rust, but needs cleanup and paint. Good headliner, door panels, cab floor rubber, dash, etc...

The bad part:

Corvair engine. Corvair trans, apparently (kinda squared-off, unlike a bus tranny). Rear apron is cut up. No firewall. right inner CV is sloppy, needs door (and cargo door) seals, seats are rough, small dents of the normal use type here and there. Worst is a (small - Nerf?) football sized dent in the RR corner. mismatched tires (with mags :-); loose rivets in the bed (was there wood there?); no engine carrier. Canvas is trashed; he claims to have the hoops around somewhere.

The wierd:

Used to be painted 888-RENT rent-a-car :-). Rubber fender uhhh, extension things.

Other:

Reg sticker is '86, though George says he's got it all worked out w/DMV. Similar story on the title.

He's got a '58 single-cab that's in better shape, but try as I might, I couldn't get him to part with it :-)

-Mitch