Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 08 Sep 1995 11:18:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      Converting  '70 single-cab back to stock VW

>From: Mitch Hendrickson <mitchh@hops.gvg.tek.com> >Subject: That '70 single-cab

Mitch, I just posted a note to the list, saying that if anyone buys this and would like to convert it back to a stock VW engine, I would trade my '70 SP busmount engine with all applicable hardware and some extra toys, for the complete Corvair setup. Details can be worked out-- I'd love to put that Corvair engine in my Bus!

If anyone calls you and seems interested in converting it back, could you give them my number (619-455-1500 x3408 days, 619-538-4610 eve/wknd) and/or Email address? (smaher@gi.com or 75461.1717@compuserve.com)?

Any idea if it runs, and how well? Did you get a chance to drive it?

>OK, I went and looked at it, and I'm passing. It's tempting, but just >more than I'm ready to take on at this point. Putting in that corvair >engine took some hacking on the rear apron and so forth. > >Corvair engine. Corvair trans, apparently (kinda squared-off, unlike a >bus tranny).

That's what I have in mind! Good news to me.

>Rear apron is cut up.

Is it cut to accommodate the Corvair engine, I guess? Mine is intact, a few minor dings, though the paint is pretty poor (lousy repaint attempt by someone). This can be part of the swap. I think they are identical from '70 to '71?

>No firewall.

??? Does that guy have a death wish? Firewalls are important, especially in an accident, and aren't named that for nothing. Mine is fine, but I'd rather leave it in place. Was his in the way of the oddball engine/trans maybe?

>right inner CV is sloppy,

I'm curious how he was able to mate the Corvair tranny to the VW outer CVs (if that's what he did). Maybe custom parts that came in the conversion kit (if he had a conversion kit)?

>no engine carrier.

Mine is here, and fine I guess-- I've never looked at it. Identical, I think, and also part of the swap.

Thanx in advance, all... If anyone is interested, drop me a line.

-Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '71 VW Transporter w/'70 engine, for now