Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         11 Sep 1995 14:14:25 -0700
From:         "Harvey Chao" <Harvey_Chao@smtp.svl.trw.com>
Subject:      Re: Need a speedometer

RE>Need a speedometer 9/11/95

Posted to the net after seeing another message indicating more than one of us has had this problem. ==================================================

[delete] The speedo works, but the odometer/tripometer is dead. Sure would like to have an odometer/tripometer again, especially since my gas gauge is flaky, and I was using the tripometer to keep track of when to fill up the van. The only one I could find near Cleveland was $250, which sounded high to me. Could one of you guys fix me up with one? How much would it cost? Any help would be appreciated

Lisa

A common failure mode for VDO speedo/odometer/tripmeters is the gear that drives the tripmeter off of the odometer. This is a small plastic (nylon?) gear on the extreme right end (as you look at the face of the speedo)of either the trip or odometer shaft that transfers motion from the upper (odo) to the lower (Trip) shaft.

To access this, you have to pull the speedo. I had this same problem with my '81 Rabbit. What happens is that this little gear cracks radially, and then doesn't grip the shaft tightly enough to turn with the shaft and transmit torque to the other shaft.

A fix I have known to work for gears is as follows (memory is dim here) --

The cracked gear has a smaller diameter hup than the teeth that engage the other gear. The outside diameter of this shaft was an excellent fit for the inside diameter of a vw pushrod tube. My mechanic showed me how to use a hacksaw and slice off a "doughnut" from an old aircooled pushrod that would fit over the gear's hub and hold the thing together tightly enought to resume it's function. If I remember, the complications are: 1) not all pushrods have the same inside diameter, you need to "find the right one" 2) You need to pull the speedo and then the particular gear off of the shaft, make the rapair and then re-assemble. The gear in question can be slid on and off the shaft with a carefully applied pair of needle nose pliers. 3) In unlucky cases, the crack will either go all the way across the gear, or there will be more than one crack and the gear will then be in more than one piece. 4) Some people have tried to glue the gear back together, but I think the problem is that most glues won't properly "grip"/adhere to the plastic. 5) In lieu of a section of pushrod, try a visit to a good hobby/model store. If I remember, they stock 12" lengths of thin wall brass tubing in concentric sizes. Maybe you can get something there that you can slice a section from that will do the job.

However - It occurs to me that although the speedo faceplate may vary between Vanagons and rabbits, it is a fair bet that a VDO speedo of the same year vintage regardless of vehicle (as long as the top end speed markings are the same) is a VDO speedo, and you may be able to cannabalize parts. Just be aware that this was not an uncommon problem, and a used speedo may have the same problem.

Another possibility is ask that place I told you about in LA if they can fix your speedo or if they will sell you a replacement gear. Harvey