Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Sep 95 21:34:53 EDT
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Westy insulated?

jag@cs.rochester.edu writes: > > Is the Vanagon Westy insulated? When I fixed some rust around my > fridge flue vent and hookups I found about 2" of fiberglass in that area. > Could somebody who has looked behind the other body panels tell me > if there is insulation there also? > > Well here is where I have found insulation in addition to the fridge side-panels: above the driver and passenger and in behind the sliding door. There doesn't seem to be insulation in three key areas though: the two front doors; the frontal area and the rear hatch.

The roof/styro idea is a good one but having driven the Westy in -20C weather last winter there is in my view a more important area: the front of the van. The main concern here is: cold air leaking through the fresh air vent intake. Solution: block it off completely. My experience has been that the stock heater is good for temps down to about -10 and even belwo that there is plenty of hot air (from the stock heaters) but not enough to compete with the ambient temps.

Two related questions: did the vanagon westys ever have a some kind of device

device that blocked off to the front grille? Did they work?

DC

---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-2889 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------