Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         12 Sep 95 17:23EDT
From:         Ian Webb <UCCQ@sysm.acs.virginia.edu>
Subject:      RE: 1987 VANAGON QUESTION

Hi folks!

I've just been lurking out here on the fringe for a few weeks now just waiting for the opportunity to jump in and introduce myself. And I gotta admit that that last posting on this thread from Dan (revealing Peter's question) scares me a bit. I just (3 months ago) aquired a cherry '89 Westfalia from a couple in NC who took REALLY good care of it (and bought a 93 EV Winnie). I can't find ANYTHING wrong with it. It has almost as much power as my Honda Civic Si, nary a scratch on it, and the stove & fridge had NEVER been used. But it does have 85000 miles on. So I need to be looking out for ALL THOSE problems???? I'm paranoid now! So, tell me, how am I gonna know when the CV joints go out on it? (even with my mechanically-challenged mind, I think I can figure out the rest of the stuff) And for those of you with Westys, (1) I'm sure that at some point in time I'll get caught camping with the top up in the rain, so how do I keep it from getting all mildew-y (other than the obvious--dry it out when I get home)? And (2) Even with the meticulous care the POs took with this gem, the top of the poptop (originally a deep burgundy color) has faded a little...now its kinda pink. You can't see it unless the top is up, so its not too important, but is there any way that any of you can suggest to restore the rich color it once was (short of having it painted)? Can I wax fiberglass? Can I use something like NU-VINAL? I'm clueless, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks! And I sure have enjoyed the rich mix of banter!

Ian Webb ============= Assistant Director |||__||___||__\ University of Virginia | '89 WESTY | Roanoke Center '-(_)------(_)-' iw8n@virginia.edu ============================================= (540) 857-7922 "WORK IS JUST SOMETHING I DO BETWEEN BIKE RIDES."

Ian Webb UCCQ@sysm.acs.Virginia.EDU