Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Sep 1995 18:59:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Jeffrey Olson <jjolson@u.washington.edu>
Subject:      Re: Diesels

I had an 82 diesel with 18,000 on a factory rebuild and 92,000 on the body for six months in 1993. I went to a local VW junkyard and purchased the guts of an 89 Westfalia interior and installed it. We bought the vanagon for $2,900 and the interior for $1,100. I got everything hooked up and working great. I did have qualms about taking the drill and saber saw to the body for water and electricity, etc, but my qualms turned into a tight fit for everything.

It got 30 mpg and cruised at 65 to 70 on the flats. But even a couple degrees of incline dropped the speed way down and drove the water temperature way up. It had about the same power as my old 66 camper with a 1300 and single barrel carb in it. It's 3rd gear on freeway passes. If you're in a hurry forget it. And you've got to drive it like a truck, to near redline when you shift, and downshift at the same spot. I drove diesel pusher school busses back in the 70's so I was used to diesels.

I have a problem with any VW made after 1967, so although I didn't mind the westfalia/diesel, I would never get one again. If I can't work on it and parts aren't plentiful and cheap, forget it. I would take a class in diesel engines if I did own one again. Also, I th ink the modern westphalia set up is lousy. I like facing my meal partner, and the intimate feeling of having the closet on the door side. Quirky, I know.

At any rate, if you can get a diesel with a relatively new engine for under $3,000 and no major work needed you might consider it. Also, beware letting the fuel level get too low in the tank. Mine turned out to have so much rust in it from condensation I had to install a fuel filter just downstream of where the fuel line left the tank, and change it every tank, for four months. Also, diesels are in very low demand, and you should play the "I'd really like to buy your car but I've only got 21 $100 bills with me/to my name/budgeted to buy a car. Wait for your price. And don't worry about seeming ridiculous with your offer or waiting. If you can't get it cheap, in my opinioni it isn't worth owning...

Jeffrey Olson Seattle, Washington, where it's always sunny and warm...