Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Sep 95 14:26:23 PDT
From:         stafford@alcor.hac.com (Jack Stafford)
Subject:      Re: wasserboxer cold weather prep

On Tue, 12 Sep, "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com> wrote: > just to add substantiation to the posts re: covering the grill... > here's what i do in the tundra up here, apologies to the old timers > that recall this thread last year.

Covering up the grille works for air-cooled VWs too.

I recall driving home from the Park City, Utah area in January. We went around the back way through Heber City and on to I-15 south. It was about -15 F. and the hot coffee I spilled on the dashboard froze before I could wipe it up. The engine was running cold so I used Duct Tape to cover seven of the nine holes in the grilles at the air intakes. With the reduced (cold) air intake, the engine came up to temp and ran fine. When I got to Beaver, the snow on I-15 had melted and it was above zero. The duct tape came off the grilles at the fuel station.

Jack stafford@alcor.hac.com '73 Westy (orange)