Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Sep 95 09:47:31 EDT
From:         snuggles@VNET.IBM.COM
Subject:      screwed by PartsPlace Inc. (Majorly)

hey now,

first: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

second: okay, i ordered an axle assembly from VW PartsPlace, INC. i was hoping to get the parts so i could hit the road this weekend. hey, i got a shipment from them yesterday...i was psyched....all the shit i've put up with doing the cv's myself was gonna be over with...yeah.

third: hey this box is really heavy. then i see the cost: $263.86. oh shit. they sent me TWO assemblies...($100 + $20 core fee, refundable) plus shipping and some new bolts i ordered. i immediately see my checking account bouncing round the bank (i used a visa check to order).

fourth: i say, okay i can correct that part of it. let's get the axle on the bus. at least i'll be able to cruise outta town. ha.

fifth: i get all my brand new bolts and stuff and jack up the van and put my ground cloth down, got my dirty clothes on, crawl under and eager get ready to put in the long awaited axle assembly so i can be truckin' down the road. i put one end on the transmission side...fine...then tried to put the other on the wheel side. uh oh. no can do. i thought...oh sssshhhhittttt. reminded me of the other side when the cv joints weren't put on correctly and would fit. i crawled out and check the movement of the joints. both joints moved fine and correctly. i thought, maybe just this on is wrong. so i grab the other axle assembly and try that one. same deal. it's like it's 2-3 inches long and there's NO way it's gonna fit. by now i'm pissed. really pissed.

sixth: i compare the axle assemblies to the old one i have. the cv joints are bigger on the ones that came from parts place and the axle seems longer. i wonder WHAT they send me...a vanagon axle assembly?

so the van is staying in the back yard again this weekend. am i doing something wrong here.....i jacked the van up just enough so i could turn the wheel when tightening the bolts. when i put the other side in a week ago, it just slid in nice and easy as can be...

oh well...patience is needed with these things. instead of the volks i'll be taking the old mazda 626. not what i wanted to do but i'm determined to have a good time this weekend.

so...partsplace is gonna credit my bank account and hopefully get me the right part. meanwhile i've got a bounced check, a vw in the yard still, and can't get the part anywhere in raleigh. anyone in raleigh got a spare bus axle assembly? he he why not ask? partsplace is gonna try and get it right this time and send me another one plus they are paying for ALL shipping charges except the original shipping to me. MAYBE they'll get it right and MAYBE i'll be on they road next week sometime. MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE.

thank you for letting me vent.

jonathan

'74 Bus ---engine runs great but needs one axle assembly(175,000 miles) '84 Mazda 626 ---195,000 miles, runs great, but it at a vw van