Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Sep 95 21:53:22 EDT
From:         John Anderson <ja@coe.wvu.edu>
Subject:      Windshield repair kits.

I don't think we've dealt with this one before if so, go ahead scold me. The '78 had a couple major MAJOR chips of unknown age. To get her inspected I had to have one repaired, as a used glass was going to run me $50, professional repair bout here $40, and your average parts store kit $6.99 ($7.99 for Locktite's but I only found it later) I went this option. I'd make a few comments on the process and results. I had a Clear Star Kit (claim to be the origional) a sryinge (sp) to apply, 2 with resin and catylist, a base, instructions (Locktite resin is already mixed I don't know how it cures). My chip was a big stone impact causing severe 1" round starburst pattern, the worst case scenario. I followed the instrustion meticulously, basically these work in a cool manner, you use the plunger to first draw air out of the chip, then to inject under pressure, then repeat the vacuum to pull remaining bubbles out, then pressure for 4 hours. The process only takes U 30 mins then you leave it drying 4 more. Anyway to make the point, I am quite pleased with the result, the stuff miraculousy saturates the chip and left only a 1" slightly odd circle with good color but different refraction properties, hardly noticeable except for 1 of the 15+ star crack surfaces that must have been too closed to fill with resin. Now additionally mine has a bunch of small dirt particles in it that had worked in so if you need to do this, do it immediately after you get hit (pro guy said this as well) before wour wipers smear crap into the area. Still I give it thumbs up with an 80% restored visibilty I'd say, and if done earlier would have been much better. Now if insurance was paying for a pro repair, I'd go that way (I've seen very nice results and I always think it's better to repair than risk windshield damage or leaks) but for those of us on a tighter budget, definitely give these a try. Same quality as the cheap Whitney version I suppose and great results. Durability? Who knows suposed to be everlasting. I stress for someone getting the Locktite version (I like their products and would have) they say something like if needed repeat the suction and pressure steps but imply you can get away with doing them once. REPEAT THEM, this is where it really pulls out the air, I'd even repeat em a 3rd time (one extra compared to the Clear Star instructions) and results may be perfect. Anyway one of those things I always wondered about that seems to be nearly as good as it says IMHO.

John ja@coe.wvu.edu '78 Westy Virginia.