Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Sep 1995 10:05:30 -0500
From:         feets1st@ocala.com (Kevin Murray)
Subject:      Cam type?

Ok Vdub slueth puppies...Gotta real stumper for you.

The recent 67 Westie aquisition came with what appeared to be a older stock 40hp shortblock sitting on the floor of the camper. Last night I decided to tear it down hoping to find a worthy 0/0 crank with which to base a rebuild around. Low and behold, it DID yeild a 0/0 crank which mic'd out within .002... Good cranks are hard to come by these days!

Now, onto the question of the week.

Upon extraction I noticed the cam gear appeared a bit different from the dozen or so I have laying on my shop shelves. While it was a 3-rivet type the oil-pump recess cavity looked deeper and dished (like the later 5-rivet cams) and nowhere on it did it proclaim VW or mention the part number (113.)

What it does have:

Stamped on the back face of the cam gear: LMB ^ Stamped on the front face of the cam gear: /S\* --- Embossed on the cam length: Made in Germany HO1, 2-PN-10 Embossed on the inside gear: 2 ** ``

I haven't measured the lobes, or checked duration, by eyeballing it though it looks a bit more drastic than stock!!!

* a bad ascii representation of a letter "S" within a cam shape! ** the back slashes are actually under umlaut dots!

Wouldn't be a scarce Okrasa Cam would it? ;-) (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Kevin

Kevin Murray (cinematographer) -FeetsFirst Films

59 Ragtop Beetle 59 SingleCab Pick-up 66 Sunroof Beetle 72 Combi Bus 69 Baha Beetle 74 412 Station Wagon

66 21 window Deluxe 76 Rabbit L-FI 67 Panel Bus 80 Rabbit Cabriolet 67 pop-Up Westie 82 Rabbit L-FI