Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 2 Sep 1995 07:57:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Jeff Rosen <jeffro@u.washington.edu>
Subject:      Trip report: installment II

Joel- for some reason, this keeps bouncing back to me when I send it to vanagon@lenti.... but, as you said you were compiling a bunch of 'em...

Here's a bit more on the 8,422 mi. journey we (myself, wife, Kermit the '78 Westy) completed Sunday----- I thought I was the only one into reading about other folks' journeys :-0

August 1: Left Yuma bright and early. We're starting to figure out that the weather ain't really gonna be much like home, in Seattle. 9:30AM= 98F. But Kermit's running strong, and most of Southern Arizona's flat, so no sweat. Tam and I see our first organ pipe cactus- otherworldly. And some huge Saguaros- very cool, how they grow so slow. We have several of them we planted as seeds over a year ago, and they're barely a 1/4 inch tall. The suckers on the side of the interstate, however, are HUGE, and look like people standing on the hills all around. We see an overturned Semi-truck up ahead, and realize state cops are detouring traffic around it. While waiting to be funneled off the highway onto a side road, we decide to see what we can down south, then head north toward Flagstaff for the night- wimpy us, we yearn for the cool air one expects at a mile above sea level. But first, we have plenty to see. Casa Grande, southeast of Phoenix an hour or two, was impressive. Very old ruin. En route to Phoenix from there, we feel the difference between intense dry heat and intense heat coupled with humidity: where man has endeavored to farm, he (or she) must also irrigate. Above an air temp of 100F or so, such areas are a wet sticky mess for human beings. Plants love it, though. Passed through Phoenix around 6:00pm, temp around 111F. Not bad, says I, after feeling 116F in Gila Bend earlier. Tammy can't tell the difference, and is on the verge of heatstroke :-(. We pull off at Lake Pleasant around sundown (beautiful golden sunset), swim in bathtub-like water, and get back into the car, into the blast furnace heat (air-cooled owners just love blasting the dash heat in such conditions, let me tell you). Tammy barfs, we stop for cold drinks and more cold air. Inside the roadhouse bar, the guy is eying the camper. "I had a '76", the old fellow says. I jump into conversation as Tammy soaks in the cool air. The guy tells me the climb into Flagstaff is a pretty steep grade- good thing we're running it at night. He adds that the roadside is always lined with people whose cars overheated- not cool. We head out, and up. Sure enough, as my wife sleeps, I count 10 cars on the side of the road up to Phoenix. Kermit does fine. I'm pleased. We pull off to get gas in Green Valley, and are attacked by swarms of little, green, flying beetles. They're everwhere- days later, I find a couple (alive) under my rooftop gas cans. We pull into Flagstaff around 11:30pm, too late for an easy drive-thru dinner. But Subway's open, so we pull in. The kid inside makes bus conversation, and upon noticing our Washington plates, asks if we happen to have any Seattle smoking substance. Just so happens we do, and we give him some. He, in return, gives us a *shitload* of chips- all kinds. An odd trade, but we like it. We stay in Sedona under pines and stars. life is good. Next day, we do tourist stuff. Grand Canyon- pictures don't do it justice. Navajo reservation- you can feel the culture, its ancient pulse. We stay a night at each. The 4th, our anniversary, we stay in Santa Fe, NM. This, we decide, is the place to live. Edge of the desert, skiing nearby at Taos. Our 5 year celebration day was perfect. If you discount the blowout we experienced outside Albuquerque. Humming along, 65 mph, and whoosh! We were swaying like the business-end of a diamondback. The good part was, after limping in on an underinflated spare into Albuquerque, we were able to experience a Pep Boys! Yep, I went for the cheapo special on tires- gotta conserve funds. Mistake? Perhaps it was going for 205x75x14's without reinforced sidewalls. All the way up to Santa Fe the slightest sidewind sent us across the pavement. After our night on the town, we hit another Pep Boys the next morning, where the genuinely nice guys there swapped the jumbo rubber for a set of OEM-size 185x70's. Much better. That night we stayed in Taos, after hitting Santa Fe Vineyards- more nice folk. The owner told us not to miss Chimayo and other old towns; he advised taking "the back way" to Taos. Scary roads, but a good call. We saw a very old (1760) church, and a Catholic "healing sanctuary," where devotees still show up regularly to be cured of what ails 'em. Driving the back roads proved to be the joy of the trip in any state- people are friendly, and you can see a lot more than on the interstates if you're willing to get yer rump out of the vehicle. From Taos, we headed West then North. We bought "package liquor" on the way. This is seriosly bizarre. You can pull up to a cantina, to a side window, where a voice from inside will take your order. In our case, it was two ice-cold Tecates. The figure inside came back shortly, beer in hand, and asked me if I'd like them *opened*! I declined, paid for the brews, and away we went, slackjawed. We'd been warned in Seattle about trying to get alcohol in "dry" areas: this, like many others across the country, must have been a wet one. Spent the night in Chama, in N. New Mexico. I wondered if I'd made a mistake not installing oil guages and an extra cooler- these thoughts were the stuff of my nightmares til dawn...

End of part II.

Gotta run- late to pick wife up from work! -Jeff