Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Sep 1995 16:18:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      RE: M.I.C...K.E.Y....

>Ferrets, diesel fuel, popcorn, poetry. My, my, my. All of >these seem symptomatic of bleeding threads (Animal drivers, >Diesel, Manifold Destiny, FFFRIDAY, etc.).

Horrors! Fifty lashes for each of us.

>As for cats, BTST (been there, still there). My cat >population is down from 15 to 5, but it's more a problem of >"so many mice, so little time."

Five cats can't deal with dozens of mice?

Cut off their smoked salmon ration. Or inform them you are considering getting a sheltie.

>I pulled off the front grills, see that there is a plastic >screen in front of the intake duct (maybe 1/2" gap around >it). I suppose I could tape the gap (I know that 1/2" is >big enough for mice), but wouldn't they just chew through >the tape?

Remember the copper-colored wire mesh that was on your mother's back door screen? 1/8" squares or smaller, kept out flies and mosquitos, but not your lawn dart? Mostly it's been replaced by plastic lookalike stuff (unsuitable), but a few hardware stores still carry the metal version. Call around, tell them what you want it for. Tape it in place with the same duct tape. Mice will stat chewing, then get a big surprise. For added excitement, that old 6V coil you never threw out...

>Again, my original question: > >>>> Is there another way into the ventilation system <<< >>>> other than the front grill that I can seal up? <<<

Climb the tires, across the half shafts to the tranny, across the ladder frame members, up thru the holes where the seat belt anchors were (shame, shame), cruise between the rubber mat and the corrugated floor, around the gaps in the front cardboard shield, climb the speedo cable or other wires, to the dash outlets, and in! Nothing to it for the typical macho Mighty Mouse wannabe, especially with wimpy cats already hiding from him. I'll tell you, mice can get into the damnedest places.

Put the seat belt bolts back in! Yes, you Westy guys too.

You might also consider copper screen mesh inside the dash vents, the vent in the floor between the front seats (walk-thru only), over the outlets under the rear seat (Take the spreaders off-- easier), and, for you baywindow types, dont forget the round outlets in the seatbacks of the front seats, aiming backward.

Also seal up that old radio antenna hole, the gaps around your pop top, and the place where the PO put in the wood stove. If Teddy Kennedy had driven YOUR bus, where would the water have come in? Hit all those spots.

-Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '71 VW Transporter, still with no rodents or other massachusettes politicians