Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Sep 1995 09:18:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:         jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu (James Brill)
Subject:      Throttle cable '71 bus

Well, the engine is in. That much is done. It took the better part of an afternoon and two helpers but it is in there. Alas, the battery is dead. Today I am getting a battery or at least a jump. Meanwhile, I have a question about the throttle cable.

I have installed a Weber progressive on my otherwise pretty stock 1600DP. I have heard from others that this combination requires moving the throttle tube up in the fan housing to get a better angle on the cable. I can see that. I think I bent mine putting it in and it won't return easily right now. I have a new spare and I am going to give that a try this evening. I am wondering about a couple of things first. How hard is it to drill this hole to move the tube? Where exactly, 1", 2"? If I have to pull the motor, forget it. Which brings me to my second question. Why not just install one of those bicycle type throttle cables I have heard about? The angle it needs to make is not that bad compared to some I have seen on bikes. Also, the average pressure on a bike brake cable has to be several times more than that on a throttle cable. I have seen both ends at hardware stores, I might just make my own. That is, if replacing the bent stock cable doesn't work. Any other ideas on this? Someone know of a source for the above mentioned cable? Is it super easy to just drill a hole and move the tube? It doesn't seem to be. What about getting all the metal shavings in the fan housing? Seems scary.

Sign me, nearly on the road, Jim -- James A. Brill Jr. \\ // jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu \\ \\// // If you're not outraged University of Nebraska \\//\\// you're not paying attention. free-lance homo sapien \/ \/