Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Sep 1995 13:17:57 GMT
From:         TJNYE@MANSCI.watstar.uwaterloo.ca (Tim Nye)
Subject:      Re: Planning Alaska Trip in 96

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.950911213956.8029E@mango.epix.net> Will Sill <will@gra pe.epix.net> writes:

Will, that was a great response, and I agree entirely. (I've made two trips, and can't hardly wait to get the time to go again. :-)

Maybe I can expand upon a couple of things.

>DO I NEED A RIDING MECHANIC AND A TRAILER FULL OF SPARE PARTS? Also no, ... >you're mechanically in good tune or else have lots of time & money.

You might think of a trip to Alaska as compressing about a year's driving into a few weeks. So think of how much maintenance you might expect in an average year, and expect about that much on this trip.

Obviously, breakdowns on the road are going to be much less fun then doing the preventative maintenance before starting out. (Like that old oil filter commercial used to say: "You can pay me now, or pay me later...")

>WHAT'S A GOOD TRAVEL GUIDE?? "Milepost" is the one I recommend - it tells

Definitely the "Milepost". A new one comes out each spring, and either you can find it when you get into the area, or you could have a local bookstore order it in for you (about $20, ISBN 1-878425-25-0).

Another book I would recommend is Ron Dalby's "Alaska Highway Insider's Guide". I found it to be the best guide of any I looked at for the area, especially for the checklists of preparations and provisions it has.

You can also get tourist info from:

Alaska Division of Tourism P.O.Box E Juneau, AK 99811 (907) 465-2010

Tourism Yukon Box 2703 Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2C6 (403) 667-5340

Tourism British Columbia 1117 Wharf St. Victoria, BC V8W 2Z2 1-800-663-6000

Alaska Ferry System Homer Ferry Terminal P.O.Box 166 Homer, AK 99603 1-800-382-9229 or (907) 235-8449

BC Ferries 1112 Fort St. Victoria, BC V8V 4V2 (604) 669-1211 or (604) 386-3431

Each place has 100+ page brochures they will send to you for asking.

Best of luck,

Tim