Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Sep 95 21:02 CDT
From:         EF0JPB1@mvs.cso.niu.edu
Subject:      1987 VANAGON QUESTION

>From: Ian Webb <UCCQ@SYSM.ACS.VIRGINIA.EDU>

>Hi folks!

><snip> So I need to be looking out for ALL THOSE problems???? >I'm paranoid now!

No need to be paranoid, sounds like you found a cherry. My 84 did not have *all* the problems Dan listed, but I have heard other owners with similar problems. I drive my 84 every day, have towed older buses with it, driven it at 26 below zero and at 107 degrees. In the 11 years it has never stranded me (except in my driveway when the fuel line froze at 20 below).

> So, tell me, how am I gonna know when the CV joints go out >on it? (even with my mechanically-challenged mind, I think I >can figure out the rest of the stuff)

There is a very distinct sound when the CV joints are going bad. It is a very clear clicking sound (you may even _feel_ it) particularly when speeding up, slowing down or turning. I put a lot of miles (probably too many for my own good) on the van with that noise reminding me to get it fixed.

> And for those of you with Westys, (1) <snip> >so how do I keep it from getting all mildew-y

You mean it rains on Westys? :>

I am new at the Westy game, but it looks like the POs of the 67 I just bought just _drove_ it around with the top up. That would explain why my canvas is ripped to shreads!

>And (2) the top of the poptop (originally a deep burgundy >color) has faded a little...now its kinda pink. ><snip> Can I wax fiberglass? Can I use something like >NU-VINAL? I'm clueless, and any suggestions would be >appreciated.

As soon as I say *certainly, you can wax fiberglass* some horror story will be posted that tells of wax causing molecular breakdown and pop tops falling to pieces above 50MPH because of it. So I will hold my tongue (fingers) and wait for the experts on fiberglass to have their say.

> Thanks! And I sure have enjoyed the rich mix of banter!

Easy on the rich mix...no, no, no, that is another thread.

-Jim (one ball in the air at time now) Bryant