Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Oct 1995 13:24:18 MST
From:         "Mike White" <MIKE.WHITE@law.utah.edu>
Subject:      Re: 65 bus won't start

> I let it sit again for a few minutes and try once more but get the > same results. I was late for work so I didn't get a chance to check > things out thoroughly. I'm pretty much a novice mechanic, so any > ideas on what to check or if someone has had a similiar problem, > your help would be much appreciated.

I just went throught a similar bout on my '57. The accelerator pump mechanism was bye-bye. The bus wouldn't start at all if you gave it any gas. After pulling off the carb and checking that the membrane on the acc. pump is not decayed/torn, I pulled out the float and noticed the little "bb" (as I call it) had fallen out from under its little "pellet" looking holder in the bottom of the bowl. That cured my problems... well one of them anyhow!

You might, when your engine is _cold_ pull off the gas line to the carb, manually turn over the engine by twisting the generator pully (in neutral) to see if the fuel pump is squirting gas.

- Mike White

[Mail: mike.white@law.utah.edu - mwhite@eng.utah.edu] Visit my '57 23-Window VW BUS at: [http://fpc99.law.utah.edu/]