Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Oct 95 15:18:09 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Best Dealer To Buy Parts From (Don't Skip This Post)

On Wed, 18 Oct 1995 14:58:10 -0500 Trace Choulat said: >Questions: Can I get parts fiches from the dealer? > How much do they cost? > Is there multiple fiches per model and year?

my experience has been that SOME (and only some) dealers save the microfiche, and even fewer of them are willing to give you the old ones. my dealer in atlanta made the mistake of telling me i could have as many as i wanted (he had a large computer-paper box of old fiche). so i took all the vanagon ones. :) and a few eurovan ones.

over the last year, i've mailed those fiche out to some of you, and just about run out now ... about all i have left are Syncro fiche for 1986-1989.

anyway, the dealer CAN order the fiche ... but what they do is give you their old one and keep the new one that came in. :( since i haven't been charged for them doing this, i don't know how much the new fiche would be. i recall the neighborhood of $20-25 was mentioned.

the fiche are apparently put out several times each year ... at the bottom of the fiche, in human-readable (i.e., without the fiche-machine) form, is the year and model and the "series" ... like this:

VANAGON 86 > (G-K) 1- 1989

what i am told this means is: All Vanagons from 1986 onward, specifically 1986 (G) THROUGH 1989 (K). the fiche was the FIRST fiche series released in calendar year 1989. the G & K are references to the year-code in your VIN (the letter just before the H99999 at the end). A=1980, B=1981, and so on (skipping I and O).

the fiche are very handy in looking to see how things come apart (or go back together!), and it is interesting sometimes to see how many non-bus things are used ... example: the grab-straps that hang down for the rear passengers of the campers. i decided i wanted to install some of these in my non-camper bus, so i ordered them. the part number is the same as the grab-straps in the beetles!! (and, of course, so were the parts). another example is the window crank handles in the vanagons. you can use the ones from a rabbit, if you don't want the little chrome ring in the middle.

one thing for us east-of-the-rockies folks to consider about this dealer in AZ: he closes AFTER we get off work!! so we can get home, call his 800- number, and he'll still be open. this has always been a problem with me calling the guy in Atlanta (who closes an hour before i get off work).

joel