Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Oct 1995 14:28:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:         David Schwarze <des@teleport.com>
Subject:      Re: Heat while camping??

John Brown writes: > > All these heat threads have got me thinking about winter camping. I seem > to remember that someone suggested installing a propane furnace, like the > ones that the new winnebago Eurovan campers use. Has anyone tried this. > Where would you mount it? I'm thinking the bottom of the Westy closet in > an '84 vanagon camper. What about next to the water tank?

How about behind the passenger seat, a-la Dave Garth? There are pix of his installation at http://www.teleport.com/~des/vw/garth

> My Camping world catalog list a furnace made by Suburban that is vented > outside with the same vent that is used on the Eurovan camper. > > 12,000 BUT furnace > 12 V 2.8 Amps > 9 3/8" by 9 3/8" by 21 1/8" > $349

>From the dimensions I assume this is one of the ones that will require you to cut a 9-3/8 x 9-3/8 hole in the side of the camper, and mount it extending inward. I hope I'm wrong...

> I'm also concerned about the propane and 12 volt use from running this > thing overnight. I would like to have some propane left over for hot > coffee. Does anybody know how much propane the Westy tank holds?

I don't think it is more than 3 gallons. My similarly sized tank can run my big honking propane heater for 2-3 nights, depending on how high it is turned up. Sure wish I had a bigger tank. 2.8 amps also sounds kinda high - I wouldn't want to have that load running all night every night.

> Also, is 12,000 BTUs going to keep the van warm on a cold night?

I think 12,000 BTU's is quite a bit for a VW camper. This heater sounds to me like a model intended for a big RV. Bigger than a VW, at least...

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) San Diego (Actually La Mesa) '72 VW Westfalia Camper (Da Project) California, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: des@teleport.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (14.17@99.34) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================