Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         95-10-10 10:44:51 EDT
From:         (deleted)

>In your 'Grendel, Sunday III' lecture you mentioned replacing the horn wire.

>John Muir says 'This wire is hell to replace' or something like that but you made >sound super easy. Care to expand on that?

Replacing the horn wire in the steering column IS fairly easy. John may have been referring to dealing with a wire broken at both top & bottom. You must remove the old wire and 'fishing' for it can be a real chore. But once the wire is out, pulling a new one through the column is a simple task.

If you'll look at the hole on the bottom of the steering column you'll notice it's smaller than the opening at the top. If you probe up inside the shaft from the bottom you'll also discover a lip of some sort.

To replace the horn wire, you pull the new wire through using a length of bailng wire. Stretch the wire first to make it reasonable straight then feed it through FROM THE BOTTOM. If you feed it from the top you'll have to hunt for the smaller-diameter opening. If your wire becomes bent during the hunt, you'll have to start over with a straighter wire. But coming up from the bottom is a simple push-through, once you're past the invisible lip.

Back top-side, bend over a six-inch length of your puller wire. Strip back about an inche of the wire you want to pull-though and put the stripped portion through the bend in the puller-wire, bending the stripped wire back onto itself. Use a pair of pliers to flatten the bend in the puller wire to take a tighter grip on the stripped wire. This bend must be small enough to fit through the bottom opening.

Now wrap the whole thing with vinyl electrical tape, starting at the top, so your spiral overlaps in the proper direction. Run the tape right on down the puller wire covering the entire bent-over portion and continuing about an inch beyond. Press the tape tight with your fingers when you're finished wrapping. Now start it down into the steering column, it should be stiff enough for you to push the puller-wire all the way in. Then go back to the underside and gently pull on the puller-wire. You'll feel it when it finds the lip but the vinyl tape will let it slip past. The tape may catch on the edges of the small opening. If it does, pull the wire up to the top again using the electrical wire you are pulling through, squeeze the tape tighter and try again. It should go through quite easily.

It really isn't that tough a job, taking less time to do it than to write this. And I type about a hundred words a minute :-) Typially, replacing a horn wire should take about fifteen minutes. I probably took a little longer than that on Sunday because I had to repair the electrical terminal on the horn button.

The job can turn in to a nightmare due to simple errors, such as wrapping the tape from bottom to top. That exposes the tape-edge to the lip inside the steering column and is liable to peel the tape off, solidly jamming the column with a plug of wire and tape. Or, you an spend hours poking the wire down from the top, trying to get it to go through the smaller lower hole.

If both ends of the old wire are accessible the job is even easier. Just solder your new wire to the old, put a little waterless handcleaner on the junction to serve as a water-soluable lubricant, and pull the new wire through. Takes maybe five minutes.

The general tone of your message made it clear that you thot I was blowing smoke up your ass. I'm not. I'm glad you've found much to admire in John book. So have I. Unfortunately, some of the methods he advocates are damaging or dangerous, and many are grossly incorrect, an opinion I've expressed in detail in other postings, some of which are among the 'sermons' archived elsewhere. If you find time to read them I'll be happy to expand on points with which you disagree.

I've made this a general post since horn problems are fairly common. I think you'll find the above procedure to be as easy as I say but if you encounter a particular problem replacing a horn wire please let me know and we can deal with it privately.

-Bob