Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Oct 1995 16:00:13 -0700
From:         othneal@ix.netcom.com (Elliot braun )
Subject:      Re: Heat while camping??

The Surbuban Furnace stock number is NT12s, this is a 12,000 btu heater mane for small popups and campers and has a front discharge grill ( i modified this to vent to two four inch ducts, one is moveable and ducting is dryer hose. In the EV I mounted it behind the driver seat where the little fridge went. I had to cut a 9" x9" hole in the seat which it mounts under and also through the inside wall, there are two 2 3/4/" holes through the vehicle sheet metal. I installed it all by myself (look ma no hands). This installation required only a special sheetmetal hole saw and a sick willingness to cut holes in your EuroVan; check, recheck, check again, repeat infinitum. The current draw is a dream, 2.3 amps, it will run for days on my deep cycle. I also installed a propane tank under the van, THIS IS HELL. Requires massive interior dissasembly, if you own an older VW bus and do your own repair work this is right up your alley. This installation (furnace) seems to me that it would be easier on almost any van other than the short wheelbase EV, the room is very constricted, the main concern is access to the wall of the bus for the exhaust & intake. If Ive forgot any thing just ask. I will be out of town, I'm leaving at 5:30 PM PST.