Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Oct 1995 12:59:43 -0700
From:         eugp@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Eugene C. Palmer)
Subject:      Insurance Oops, or; Wanted 1971 VW Camper

Hi again,

I guess I should've known. Actually I had been ready to get collision coverage, knew the value was climbing, just never quite got aroundtuit. I've always thought of it pertaining to when I've made a mistake driving. This hit&run stuff gives it a whole new twist, the un-identified driver or car. Car for the insurance, driver for the conviction.

It becomes quite a task to be ready for a hit&run. Fire extinguishers, camera, binoculars, flashlight or spotlight to illuminate the driver, license & reg., insurance papers, (the tow truck operator wanted to check for towing coverage on the policy) certified appraisel value and coverage, first aid kit, flares or flashing lights so you don't get hit from another car, headrests, belts, looking in the mirror alot when your alone on a dark stretch of freeway, CB or cellphone to get help (actually there was a yellow call box not 50 feet away from where I stopped on the shoulder, but I never looked for or saw it), for other people but not me; pistola and vest, yadda yada, yecch.

I'm hearing of stories lots worse than mine. Woman on the bay-bridge at night, car totalled, crawling for a call box, injured for months, likely screwed on the car itself etc.

Since I've considered the bus as a hobby for awhile I am trying to think of this as a broken radio flyer, or a model rocket gone astray. Sort of. In any case I would like to continue the hobby/function and request assistance for a new body herewith. Hali's into it as well.

Wanted; One 1971 Volkswagen Camper body, little rust, undercoated, prefer scissors-top Country Homes, Westfalia, maybe a sunroof?. With or preferably without, unless in excellent condition; engine, transmission, axles, tires, front-end, steering gear, shocks, seats with headrests, interior, um. Trade for new 1600cc DP engine and my old body? Under $750? Well, I can wish can't I?

Thank you all for the support, folks at work, friends and family have also been real sweet. I'll just ride my bike for awhile and get on with the bus when it's time.

Eug,

PS The search for seats with headrests is tough. Regular rounds at the junkys, I don't know of an aftermarket source. Too bad, they'd make out OK just with this list.