Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Oct 1995 13:03:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Bob Hufford <bhufford@mail.orion.org>
Subject:      Crazy Man with Parts Stash (long)

There was an ad in the local paper last week about a sale of assorted VWs and a truck full of parts (new and used). No phone number, just the sale date and directions. This was 150 miles from me, but close to my Dad. Convinced Dad to go over after his classes on Saturday, but figured that most would be gone that late in the day. Dad arrived in the rain to find this guy with a 1/2 dozen vehicles and an 18-ft truck full of stuff. The guy was bummin' because he only had maybe 20 people respond to the ads placed in Kansas City, St. Louis, and Springfield, MO (he was in Sedalia). Turns out that he had bought all this stuff in '88 from a VW repair shop that went out of business (in Wyoming...or Nebraska). All the cars were rusty hulks, none running, some complete. Oldest was a '61 Beetle (no title, no motor, $150), newest was a '74 Super (I don't have the price list here, but it was no great bargain). One Bus, a '71 Westy (bad motor, rough interior, some rust) for $300 which I think has sold. The most interesting was a '65 1500-S Notchback. No pan to speak of, not running, rusty rockers, missing only an arm rest. He wanted $1200 (!?). The truck was filled with about 15 motors in pieces, lots of tin, assorted glass, tail and head lights (oldest was '58 Ghia), maybe a pair of semaphores, 8 trannys, 3 gas heaters (Bus), etc. New stuff included points, condensors, dist. caps, rotors, bearings, cables, hoses, windshields, D/P end castings, clutchs, oil & fuel pumps, engine tin, push rods & tubes, generators, brakes shoes & drums, heat exchangers, and some Rabbit and Audi parts. He also had a transmission jig and a fuel injection tester. Says he wants $3000 for all the parts and if he doesn't sell in a month, he will send 'em to the crusher! Doesn't want to give out his phone number (unless you are serious about buying it all) and doesn't want to have to dig out specific parts. He won't drag it to a swap meet and appears to just want to get rid of it (for a price). He says he won't crush the Notch, but will the rest. I offered to run ads in the newsletter and on the Net, but he wasn't interested and didn't want people calling just to talk. Anybody out there want to cough up 3 grand to save this stuff? I sure can't.

Bob Hufford \\ // "...in the GROOVE" \\ \\// // '60 Double-Door Panel General Registry Of Ozarks' \\ \/ // '69 Bus (Sunroof) Volkswagen Enthusiasts \\ //\\ // '81 Vanagon (Sunroof) bhufford@mail.orion.org \\/ \\/ '61, '63, '67 Bus Bones