Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu,  5 Oct 1995 12:41:21 GMT
From:         vw@gulbransen.com (Vw)
Subject:      KOMBI ON FIRE or A GOOD WAY TO CLEAN THE ENGINE?

Last night, on the way home from work, the classic symptoms happened to me. Now, realize that I am very careful with the fuel lines--new rubber hoses every two years, clamps at both ends of every hose, good rubber grommet around the metal pipe through the metal firewall, etc.

I was headed up a hill after getting off the freeway. I had been driving for 17 miles at 65 mph (105 kph), so the engine was nice and hot. As I went up the hill, I noticed sudden power loss and strong smell of gasoline at about the same time.

I pulled over to the side of the road, turned off the ignition, got out of the bus, and opened the engine lid. No flames! Whew! Clean engine, all grease and oil swept away by the gasoline that had been spurting out the fuel pump.

The small outlet brass pipe or fitting going to a rubber fuel line to the carburetor had popped out of the fuel pump. It is apparently just a pressure fit.

I pounded it back in place and waited for the rest of the gasoline to evaporate. Then I drove slowly home.

This was a close call. Could have been a bad fire. But at least the engine is clean.

Bob and Penny Lee vw@gulbransen.com San Diego, CA '71 VW Bus White/Blue with sunroof '72 VW Super Beetle White Herbie '71 VW Bus Dark Blue with sunroof '72 VW Super Beetle Orange with sunroof