Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Oct 1995 14:19:23 -0500
From:         cheeses@arn.net (Cheese)
Subject:      Re: baja update

>That's pretty scary about the federales. Makes me think I don't wanna go! > > :( > >/martha

The Federales are much less likely to screw with you if you're part of a large group, such as a caravan (lots of witnesses). They've been getting some heat from Mexico, D.F. about cleaning up their act, especially since NAFTA. BTW, tourism is now the number one source of revenue for Mexico. Hassling American tourists is just not popular with the Mexican Federal government anymore. With Mexico's economy teetering, they need the dinero. I used to get hassled some back in the '70s down there but no serious harassment since then.

They used to give long-haired, hippie-looking types a hard time, especially those in VW vans, which, for a while, they thought were the vehicle of choice for drug users/smugglers. Now, you're not a hippie if you have money, despite your beard, long Earth Mother dress or whatever. It helps not to be too freaky-looking but I haven't heard of much serious harassment in the past five years or so. A few of the beaches on the Caribbean coast are clothing-optional, in many other places it's usually a strict no-no to run around in your birthday suit. If you're far enough away from populated areas, though, just about anything goes.

BTW, your dollar goes pretty far down there nowadays. Last I checked, the peso was at 6.4 to the dollar. A year ago the peso was worth almost twice that: about 3.4 to the dollar. Of course, inflation is high but you can still buy at lot more stuff with your dollars. Gasoline is not cheap, nor are items such as repair parts or anything very high-tech. Bring your own motor oil and parts. Food, beer, Mexican-made liquor, most medications, handicrafts and lodging are very reasonable to downright cheap, if you stay away from the tourist traps.

The best places to buy beer are the depositos, where they sell only beer. There's usually one or two in every village of any size, or on the outskirts of big towns. You can get cases of great Mexican beer and blocks of ice really cheap. They'll want you to put down a hefty deposit on the long-neck bottles, which you get back when you go stock up again. I really like Dos Equis Lager, in the green bottle. Carta Blanca ain't bad, either. And then there's Pacifico, yeah! Don't forget the little key limes (limones). Yum.

Don't put the block ice into beverages, though; it may give you the trots, bad. Drink only bottled water or other beverages from a sealed bottle or can. Beware of salads or raw vegetables; they may contain microbes your system isn't used to. Fruits that you can peel are generally safe, e.g., oranges, bananas, grapefruit, papaya and so on.

Don't be afraid of the Federales; they're under increasing scrutiny from the Mexican government all the time. If you keep your nose clean, at worst, they're a minor nuisance, if you encounter any at all. Just don't be stoopid and let any of their snitches set you up by selling you a bag of pot or whatever.

Cheese