Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 06 Oct 95 00:17:26 -0700
From:         Steve Hoge <steveh@pauli.emu.com>
Subject:      Syncronicity Achieved! (LONG)

Well, I took the plunge last weekend: paid $8300 cash for a 1989 GL Syncro with 91K miles. One owner, electric everything, working diff lock, maintained at the dealer on an extended warranty, good cosmetics (for a 6 year old car) and pretty dry underneath - a little oil film but no coolant or residue on the heads (new gaskets, coolant pump and resevoir at 60K.) On the strength of all the *good* signs, (and because there were 3 more potential buyers lined up) I talked the PO down $700 and bought it on the spot without having my local mechanics check it (it was located out of town) and in spite of a few *ominous* signs:

* Rough idle, claimed as from day one by PO (exactly like the '87 I test-drove a couple of weeks ago) * Old cracked CV boots in the rear (4 fronts already replaced) * Major tranny/clutch work done (and a follow-up fix to the fix) at around 70K * Gunk looking suspiciously like aluminum powder in the reservoir (the infamous ALUMASEAL??)

After driving around the Bay Area for a day a few more gotchas appeared:

* Subtle fuh-fuh-fuh sound during high-speed cornering in both directions (how to tell front CV's from rear, inside from out?) * Not-too-subtle metallic clatter from the rear especially noticeable during engine deceleration and intermittently at idle when hot (tight valve? loose tin?) * No cooling from A/C (not a big issue here in Santa Cruz) * Cruise control also a NOP (another yawner)

Of course I've got a million questions to ask the group but I'll try and dribble them out slowly over time so you all don't get sick of my whining. The guys here at the Volks Cafe will get paid to answer the obvious questions, so maybe I can reserve the stumpers for the group. (One I gotta ask now: is there a consensus that this ALUMASEAL stuff is bad, and if so, is there any way to flush the extra gunk back out of a micro-clogged radiator?)

Mostly I want to thank all those (Joel, David, Drew, John, Tim, Kevin) whose unanimously negative reaction to my previous Syncro test drive report (Re: My Syncro Obsession Sated?) combined with a thumbs-down from the Volks Cafe (everybody who said "new head gasket" gets a gold star) caused me to pass on that one; if I'd gone for it I wouldn't have come across this beauty (Titian Red!), 2 years newer and $2000 cheaper. If I get the go-ahead from the Volks guys maybe I'll see some of you down in Panamint Springs in November...4-wheelin' - whoopee!

Steve Hoge '77 Loaf (Da Rust Bucket, FS!) '89 GL Syncro (Da Stud Bucket!)