Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Oct 1995 11:48:16 -0400
From:         CHunger108@aol.com
Subject:      Intro and Thanks

Hello, everyone. My name is Cliff Hungerford, and I currently live in St. Louis, MO. I subscribed to the list over a month ago, and have thoroughly enjoyed the stories, reports, technical info, and especially the FFFFriday Follies!

I currently own a 1988 Vanagon GL with overhead a/c, fold down rear seat/bed...the rest is pretty vanilla. Oh, yeah...it's a manual transmission, 2.1 liter engine, etc. etc.

I've owned a few VW's over the years, my favorite of which was a '64 bug (with a '59 engine), affectionately referred to as the "Bruise-Mobile" by my friends, due to the purplish blotches caused by the unpainted Bondo that comprised the largest portion of structural integrity in the car. I originally bought the car for US $50.00 in Berlin while stationed there in the Air Force. After "repairing" all of the rust, putting on new tie rod ends, etc., etc., the flywheel started getting chewed up, cog by cog, until I finally had to start parking on hills to be sure of an easy start-up. When I finally dropped the engine and took the flywheel (a fun task, to be sure) to various junkyards/parts places, everybody laughed at me (sounds the same in German) and told me to get rid of the beast. I sold it to the on-base mechanics shop for $150.00. Not a bad return on my investment! Since then, I've owned a couple of K70's (precursor to the Jetta, sold only in Germany, as far as I know), an '84 Jetta, '86 Quantum, and the '88 Vanagon.

The Vanagon currently has 92,000 miles, and has only needed one new head gasket, rear brake shoes and a new starter, so I guess I'm pretty lucky. I am having a problem finding a slow leak in the cooling system. Like another recent posting, I can smell coolant (but only outside the van, not inside) after driving to or from work, but there is not a real significant loss (maybe a cup or so every couple of weeks). Is this even worth chasing down? I've been as thorough as I could in finding the leak, but can't tell where it's coming from. I'm mainly afraid that if it's a hose, it could be getting ready to blow one of these days.

I was getting ready to trade the Vanagon in on an American-made van, but since I've found all of you out there, I think I'll hang on to it for a few decades, and see how it holds up. Thanks again for the help, entertainment, and generosity you all seem to provide.

Cliff