Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Oct 1995 11:28:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>
Subject:      Don Lancaster's Intermittents

On Fri, 6 Oct 1995, Steve Hoge wrote: > > There's also the rumored 3rd fix for this problem (aka The Don Lancaster > Solution), which is resoldering some steel-leaded (!) resistor or another in > the ECU. Hey Gerry - is that Electronics Now article describing the fix (Feb > '95?) ever going to make it into the archive? I *have* heard from Vanagon

Actually, what Don sent me was from January 1995. And, although the article is long, it's not really about the practicalities of fixing car computers, but rather a lot about philosophy and theory. Here's the pertinent part of the article.

Servicing Intermittents My 1987 Synchro 4WD van started showing an intermittent and a total loss of power. Naturally, I did not suspect for an instant that all those 138,000 off road desert miles I put on it had anything to do with the problem. Cleaning up the airbox, checking connectors, and swapping the fuel filter did not help. Hauling it off on a 350 mile trip to my nearest factory authorized service center cost me an outrageous bill. For zero improvement In all fairness, it _is_ hard to fix an intermittent when it doesn't show up on demand. But as soon as I started treating this as an electronic service problem, rather than an auto problem, the cause became obvious. I next sent out for a shop manual, something I should have done years ago. The _Robert Bentley_ manuals are really outstanding. Meanwhile, I decided I had to try and catch this intermittent in action. While driving down the road. So, I hooked up an oscilloscope. My first guess was the Hall Sensor, so I monitored the green wire from the sensor by using a temporary test pin I have shown in figure three. The sensor output was continuous, even during a dropout.

Figure 3 -- A QUILTING PIN makes a safe test point along stranded wires.

Finally, a stroke of blind luck. I hit the computer with my fist and the engine died! Something I should have thought about long before. Something which that mechanic _certainly_ should have tried. Cleaning the connector didn't help, so I resoldered the computer. The culprit was this bad solder joint on a steel lead power resistor. Aging and corrosion caused the failure. In hindsight, the tachometer would drop to _zero_ during failure, with the engine obviously still stumbling over. Because the tach connects directly to the coil primary, the problem almost _had_ to be the engine computer or wiring. Interestingly, there is this newer wiring harness/filter that's supposed to eliminate the very same _symptom_ that is apparently caused by the steel lead on that big computer resistor not being solder wettable. I suspect they never found the real problem at all. And still haven't got a clue. All of which did get me thinking about servicing intermittent problems in general. So, figure four gives you a set of my rules that should get you started. The key points are to _always _ have documentation on hand; to be _certain_ to get the problem to actually show up; to divide-and-conquer by finding out where the problem is _not_; to attack probably causes first; and to think logically, paying attention to _all_ of the symptoms.

Figure 4. 1. Make certain the problem is real. 2. Have _all_ service manuals on hand. Read them! 3. Make the problem show up. Collect data _during_ the fault. 4. Divide and conquer. Find out where the problem is _not_. 5. Assign probable causes. Look, smell, touch and listen. 6. Associate mechanical problems with connectors; time ones with solder joints; temperature ones with memory chips. 7. Cause the patient no harm. _Never_ hot plug! 8. Isolate temperature problems with fans, cold, or hot boxes. 9 Pay attention to _all_symptoms. Be willing to change tactics. 10. Hit it with your fist or otherwise apply _controlled_ shock. 11. Attack the disease, not the symptom. Things "burn out" for a reason. Find and fix that underlying reason. 12. Reduce the system to the simplest possible. 13. If all else fails, try to make the problem _worse_. 14. When possible, compare against an identical working unit. 15. Back off and give it a rest; let your subconscious do the work.

Yeah, there are fairly low cost data loggers out there. But nobody has yet come up with a universal intermittent "flight recorder" that a car mechanic, a cardiologist, or an air conditioning repairman would fight over. There's a bunch of opportunities here. Many thanks to real-world auto expert Bob McKnight for his superb help on this matter

All credit for this is due Don Lancaster. Synergetics Box 809 3860 West First Street Thatcher AZ 85552 Last known email: Synergetics@genie.geis.com

-- Gerry Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@med.umn.edu> U of MN Med School Admin 6-5379 Home St. Paul,Ramsey County,Minnesota, USA