Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Oct 1995 09:53:43 -0800
From:         corchard@CHS.CUSD.Claremont.Edu (Charles Orchard)
Subject:      Better informed on buying a Bus

This is Charlie again. I had posted a message asking for advice on buying a Bus, and this list leapt to the task! Yes, I was given reasoned advice on the differences between the '71 engine and '72 and later type IV engines. Both sides of this issue make good points, though amongst the two mechanics I talked to around here the '71 won out.

Basically, I have decided if I want to go fast I'll just take my '93 CBR F2 Honda motorcycle. Yes, I know no Bus is going to go fast, and I wouldn't want to drive a breadloaf fast anyway. The '71 engines are cheaper to work on, and since I do split my transportation duties between car and bike, I am not likely to run up a lot of miles on either too quickly. Plus, I only have $2000.

While I shop for a Bus I am looking only at new or recently rebuilt engines. Based on advice from Andrea, John Kyte, Joel Walker, Alex Munro and Jack Stafford I am armed with the Muir manual (which I would have bought anyway because it is the only manual I actually understood and laughed while reading!), as well as a remarkably timed article in Hot VW's. So far I have only seen overpriced junk- but I'm looking at two others today, and there is some sort of Porsche/VW display at the Pomona Fairgrounds a week from tomorrow (Sunday).

Any more advice can be sent to me directly- I am unsubscribing for now because the list is too busy for my mailbox. I should be back, though...

Wish me luck. Charlie

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Charlie Orchard corchard@chs.cusd.claremont.edu English Teacher Claremont High School

http://www.cyberg8t.com:80/corchard/

"Tonight's Mohawk Night. You could get in if you had a mohawk." Bouncer in "After Hours"

Feel free to ask me about *skydiving*!