Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 07 Oct 1995 17:14:37 -0500
From:         dbax@mindspring.com (Donald Baxter)
Subject:      Cooling System Capacity and Front Heater Valve Assembly and Cable

I replaced the leaking "T" Piece on my '85 Vanagon today, I figured since lots of coolant would be lost that I would go ahead and drain the system entirely, flush and refill. I know the cooling system is supposed to hold 18--19 quarts but I could only get three gallons in. I probably only got three gallons in last year and have had no overheating problems. I did the bleeding and after much time the stream ran bubble free, but not at 2500 RPM, where I got no stream at all, but at normal idle where the stream ran steady and bubble free. By the way, I only put 1 gallon of Sierra in, decided to stick with the P.G. despite what seems like evidence to the contrary that it is beneficial. I figure that I'll be making additional bleeding efforts and put more P.G. in when I do that.

Is there 1 gallon worth of crud in my radiator? I noticed when I shut the engine off, I heard lots of gurgling in the engine compartment from hoses as coolant headed back toward the expansion tank. Does this indicate that I still have air in my system? I have also given up trying to fill the system with the vehicle level, I fill it pointing the van downhill so that the radiator will fill. After that, I turn the van around (uphill) so I can raise the front end on wheel ramps (my driveway has a short, steep incline so the front is at least 15" above the back). Has anyone here managed to refill their cooling systems with the van level?

I was hoping that the van came to me last November with a new radiator--I noticed this time the date stamped just below the bleeder screw, unfortunately it is just as old as the van--an '85.

Regarding the clip I purchased to reattach my heater control cable to the valve... I can't have possibly been given the right part. I have a cable, I have a post with a small hole in it that I assume the cable passes through that attaches to the control lever on the valve. What Ellis ordered for me is a shaped piece of flat metal (part number 823-819-679) that cannot possibly attach to either the cable or the post. I didn't see how the arrangement worked originally since it was missing when I noticed I had no heater control action. Dan told me it would be a pain in the ass to get in, I can accept that, I just don't think I could have the right part.

Anyone have a Polaroid who would be willing to photograph this since it doesn't show up on my dealer's microfiche? Or better, anyone in the Atlanta area willing to let me come look above their spare tire? I realize that you hardly know me and that's a terribly personal area but I promise to respect you in the morning.

Thanks for the barrage of suggestions I know I will get in advance.

Donald Baxter _________________________________________________________ Donald Baxter Atlanta, Georgia 404.874-3292 (home) <dbax@mindspring.com> 404.447.6831 (work) <dab1@jhk.com>

_________________________________________________________ "Now we see the women in the photograph Sweet Ann of mercy, and Sylvia Plath For a thousand words they got a life sentence

If we lined up the girls who died in vain We could walk on their heads to hell and back again But I got the big book, and anti-depressants"

Shawn Colvin "Object of my Affection"