Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Oct 1995 15:24:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:         David Schwarze <des@teleport.com>
Subject:      DaBoat 2-liter update - engine work

Volks, This morning I set out to assemble the crankshaft. I went to Sears and bought a pointer-type torque wrench for $20, and bought some plastigage from Napa. I brought all of the clean parts into the kitchen (I learned this trick from Unca Joel) for assembly since my workbench still has the remains of Jeff Schneiter's 1.7 spread out over it. First trick was to get the gears on the crankshaft. The book (How to Rebuild your Air cooled VW) said the gears could be installed by heating them in oil and quickly slipping them on before they could cool. I actually did this. For a little extra margin I put the crankshaft in the fridge while the gears heated on the stove. If I wasn't fast enough installing the gears, they would lock down on the crankshaft and I would have to take it into a machine shop to have them pressed on. Fortunately that didn't happen. I managed to get the gears on just before the hot metal penetrated the cotton glove I was wearing and burned the crap outta my hand. But, it saved me a trip to the shop. There is a snap ring that goes next to the gears which was very thick and strong, and I almost didn't get that puppy on without scratching the bearing surface it was going over, but was finally able to do it with the pair of Craftsman snap ring pliers I had from the last rebuild. Next time, I will buy the proper tool, which was $16 at Sears, and was made *just* for expanding those stupid steel rings. The snap ring pliers came very close to bending. Next, I checked the rod bearing clearances and side clearances. The side clearance was supposed to be .004 - .016 with a wear limit of .027. Mine were all between .012 and .016, or near the high end of the acceptable range, but since none of them were out of range, and it would require a new crank to fix it, I left them alone. The rod bearing oil clearance was suupposed to be between .0008 and .0027 with a .0060 wear limit. I cut the plastigage up into 1" long pieces and checked the journals one at a time. Two were about .002 and two were about .015. I thought they felt loose, but if the book says it's right, so be it. I have heard a lot of engine builders use STP engine treatment as assembly lube. I looked for it at the store but all I could find was STP oil treatment, and it wasn't in the familiar yellow can. So, I broke down and bought the Sta-Lube moly assembly lube (black). I greased up the rod journals, and the sides of the rods, and installed the rods, torqueing the nuts down in four stages as described in the book (15, 20, 24, 32 lb/ft) and after putting a drop of loctite on each bolt. All looks good, so I will try and assemble the short block tonight, after I visit the junkyard this afternoon. For the record, this is what I have spent on this engine so far:

Engine acquisition: $160.00

Main Bearings $52.50 Rod Bearings $14.75 Gasket Set $47.00 Oil seal, front $3.90 Oil seal, rear $8.20

Clean & inspect parts $35.00 Hone Barrels $20.00 Polish Crank $20.00 Loctite, Permatex #3, etc. $15.00

That's about $380, or less than half of what I would have paid for a rebuilt 2.0 shortblock from GEX, and I have an extra set of Vanagon cylinder heads that I can sell to recoup some of the cost. If I have to buy new pistons and liners, though, I will not have saved all that much, but at least I have gained experience (and photographs for the web page!). Plus, if something goes wrong with the engine, I will have nobody to blame but myself, and I know *exactly* the condition of the engine that will be in my bus - no guessing if someone dropped a cigarettte butt into the case when they were putting it together or mistakenly put in the wrong bearings. That is worth something to me...

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) San Diego (Actually La Mesa) '72 VW Westfalia Camper (Da Project) California, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: des@teleport.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (14.17@99.34) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================