Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Oct 1995 06:43:51 +0000
From:         "Harry Yates" <hyates@bcit.bc.ca>
Subject:      Glad to be back..

Hello Everyone. After a month's absence from the list, and a wonderful vacation, I'm back on the list. Thanks to Skip Montanaro for providing an easy way to follow the postings of this list via his "recent archives" feature.

We spent 16 days in the Canadian Rockies (can't get enough of those mountains!). We started off in Glacier Nat. Park, Yoho Nat. Park, Banff Nat Park, Jasper Nat. Park, and made a trip to Calgary, and checked out Alberta's Kananaskis Country. We did just over 2700 km on that circuit. We had superb weather, and did lots of hiking. Awesome stuff! Kananaskis Country is beautiful, and Alberta's little secret. This is about 1.5 hrs sw of Calgary, and butts up against Banff Nat. Park to the north, and Kootenay Nat. Park to the west. We met up with a bear on one of our hikes (black bear) that knew we were around with all the noise we were making. Kind of scarey though. We saw the elk in their "rutting season" at Jasper Nat Park. Bull elk were 10 ft from the van!! Pretty scarey when you get up in next morning and all the trees near the van have been all roughed up, and the van wasn't touched!!

We returned home for a week, and then took off to the Okanagan for a wine tour for 6 days. That was very relaxing for us, but the weather was a mixed bag. It was very warm.. temps near 25 C in the shade, and down to 17 C at night. We did get some very heavy rain, and the awning proved invaluable in keeping us dry. We did just under 1200 km on that trip.

We saw many older type 2's, mostly Westy's, and not so many Vanagon Westy's, and just one Syncro during our travels. The van performed flawlessly, except for a burned out left/rear sidemarker light that just went out Saturday.

Glad to be home though, and get back to work (I must be sick??). The van's already washed, detailed, and ready to roll for this Thanksgiving long weekend!!

Harry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Harry Yates, Burnaby, BC, CANADA e-mail: hyates@bcit.bc.ca '90 Syncro Westfalia (The Polar Bear) http://www.bcit.bc.ca/~hyates/ '87 Golf Diesel