Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Oct 1995 07:55:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:         "Joseph F. Fournier II" <jfourni@comp.uark.edu>
Subject:      Finally pulled the engine

Finally, after about a month of other things tugging at me in different directions (and a little play time on a "spare 1600") I pulled the engine from the bus this weekend. Despite the low compression test on #4 (she read 75#), I'm pretty happy with what I can see. The pistons all look to be in good shape. No pitting or knicks; just a bit of buildup on #4 and #1. The heads appear to have no cracks, though apparently, they are the "fuely" (sp?) heads my local parts guy talks badly about. He claims they're more prone to cracks. (The heads off my "spare 1600" are of the "fuely" ilk also, though one has a crack. I'm thinking "Alright! Now I've got a spare head!"8)

I've still haven't pulled the pistons and jugs. In my haste to check for damage on the heads and pistons, I failed to clean the engine first (Bob would NOT be happy with me). I'm thinking that I'll be time and sanity ahead to put the heads and push rod tubes back on and clean up the outside some before proceeding.

Anyway, I just thought I'd "check in" and let you all know how it's going. I'm shooting for the end of the month to have the rebuild complete, but with my schedule, I could possibly even miss that deadline. Oh well, I'm in Arkansas. It doesn't usually get "cold" (less than 32 deg. F) until November. (BTW, I'm on digest mode if you Canadians want to flame me for my use of the word "cold.") 8) Joe

---------------------------------------------------------- Joseph F. Fournier II <jfourni@comp.uark.edu> 501.575.7353 <a href="http://comp.uark.edu/~jfourni/"> Joe Fournier</a> ----------------------------------------------------------