Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Oct 1995 08:41:43 -0700
From:         eugp@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Eugene C. Palmer)
Subject:      Bus lives on

Volks,

My '71 bus that was hit continues on, uglier but wiser. I removed the bumper that looked so nice and straight before the acci. I checked the wiring and found all taillights to still be working, even though they are bent 90 degrees from normal and kind of point out to the side. I found that the ignition system was broken, I think the coil died from the shock of the acci. Low and behold the replacement Stinger S4 has an incredible, far stronger power curve than the stock thingy that passed smog and I now _know_ was overheating the engine. It times about 4 degrees more advanced as well. I replaced my expensive OBerg filter with a regular old HP1 since dragging it on the ground for half a mile wore away the case to the point where the O-rings showed. I will do without an external cooler since I don't plan to be driving very far anyway.

Luckily the bus frame itself seems only slightly bent, if I sight down the left rain gutter I can see the bend, but otherwise it isn't noticeable. The engine carrier wasn't directly hit. I still need to get more clearance over the left rear tire, it scrapes the mangled body whenever I hit any kind of bump. I also need to find a way to bang the body out enough to remove the smushed spare battery.

A hint for folks attempting to rekindle the oil pressure on external filter/cooler systems. Fill the case with oil, then lift the front of the bus so the oil soaks the cam gear gallery and pump areas. Remove the oil pressure warning sender to allow air to escape until oil is flowing. Then re-install. If you're working on a new or dry engine, you should remove the rocker arms and spark plugs before cranking so you don't wreck your cam, lifters, and the rest of the valve train.

Oh well, beauty bus is now an ugly duckling. At least it'll get me around town till I can find a suitable replacement, not to mention the time and energy to swap all the mechanics over.

Eug, '71 hitnrun westy