Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         95-10-10 12:58:06 EDT
From:         Claralw

hello. There seem to be barndoor busses out there, hiding out on the farm. these are the ones with engine compartments that reach all the way to thye beltline, the sare tire lies on a tray above the engine, and you have to open the engine compartment to put in gas. Does the one you found have turn signals on the fron? It shouldn't, but they are sometimes added. The chassis number is in the engine compartment, to the right of the engine, on the bulkhead. My 58 dealer parts list for type 2 lists

year chassis number Oct 1952 20-035 112 1952 20-041 712 march 1953 20-047 102 Jan 1954 20-069 409 1954 20-110 604 march 1955 20-117 902 end of 'barndoor' production

The engine should be a 36hp or 25hp with a 20- engine number. the front suspension is different to a later bus, it has one very long tie rod and one very short one. The cargo doors are flimsier. Does it have pop-out windows on the sides? Where the latches are screwed to the frame, are there two horizontal screws, or three in a triangle? Is it a passenger model with seats and panneling on the walls and a cloth headliner? What do the taillights look like? Are they red plastic lenses with a chrome ring around them,which has a vw logo on them? One or two wires to them in the back?(should be one) Are the glass reflectors below the taillights whole, cracked, or missing? What does the speedo look like? Do the vent wings on the front doors look normal or are they hinged differently?

I'm interested, but it is a long way away. let me know anything you can. I love to revive old splitties. Is this one even savable? I hear the rust is terrible in Michigan, or was it parked in a barn 20 years ago?

Clara Williams

!961 non-sunroof deluxe, 1969 bug, 1954 kombi (regularly driven)