Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 02 Oct 1995 09:19:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Insurance Industry Regu

>> In other words, insurance co's are profit-making institutions, as any legit >> business must be. But > like you've described. >> >> Any chance that government restrictions before the election, were so severe, >> that even legit, clean companies could only lose money? I have no info > > The thing that we have to do is to stop thinking of insurance >companies as being legit businesses. If you think the legal thieft at >Las Vegas is legit, you've got to love the insurance biz. Banks, too!

Huh?

Insurance Co's (the clean ones, anyway) deliver a valuable service, specified in advance, in exchange for money paid, also specified in advance. (Or don't you consider the lifting of a $500,000 liability off your shoulders, to be valuable?).

I might not drive at all, if I was putting at risk my security and fortune, not only for the rest of my life, but that of my family and heirs too (yes, that's how it works). The only reason it's mandatory (aside from Big Brother wanting to "help" me as much as possible) is because some people are shitheads and don't want to take responsibility for their own actions.

The fact is, driving is dangerous, and puts those around you at risk as well as yourself. Are you a perfect driver, with a perfect automobile? I am not, of course. It is incumbent upon me to protect those around me as best I can, from the risk I am putting them under, by driving my car next to theirs.

This stuff is all obvious and well known, of course. So how do you cover this risk? Coverage is NOT an option for any moral and sensible person, laws or no laws. I'm not claiming the present insurance co's are perfect by any means. But they do do what we need, better than anything else we've come up with. And I, in my ignorance, don't know what to suggest, that won't do more harm than good (govt regulation falls into this category).

Anyone have any ideas?

This still gets away from my original point-- the starting point of this thread. If there is corruption etc. in the insurance industry, how do we find it? There's sure a lot of smoke. Any fire there? We need certain information to even start looking, which might be real tough to find if there is, indeed, corruption.

And so far, no one (except Cheese-- right on, bro) has made the slightest effort to track down any of this info-- or even start.

Let's get it in gear, ladies and gents, or else stop whining about those mean, nasty insurance companies! We've wasted a lot of bandwidth here, griping about it, with zero results-- hardly surprising, considering that we haven't been trying to achieve results-- just whining.

I'm no better-- I don't know where to find this info either. But it has to be found, or things definitely won't get better.

-Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '71 VW Transporter